What is a real 5/4 tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Re: What is a real 5/4 tuba?

Post by tubeast »

I understand the OP´s question was leaning towards use case of 5/4 contrabass tubas rather than assigning labels to any specific tuba model, even though specific models were mentioned.

Since there are all kinds of x-quarter tubas on any level of quality / sophistication / price tag, I do not agree to the notion of 3/4 tubas being for kids / school. HoJo2011 comes to mind...
I´d rather go with intended musical genre / ensemble size / sound ideals. So here goes:

3/4: Solo / Ensemble with less than 10 musicians. Gil Evans-type BigBand, "Birth of the Cool"- literature, Alpine brass septet such as "Innsbrucker Böhmische". Standing / marching gigs. Still enough beef to choose this over a basstuba, though.
4/4: Community Band, small to large orchestra with "lighter" programme. Brass choir in church. Still small enough for nimble stuff.
5/4: Community Band, Wind orchestra, medium to large orchestra. Awesome for film music scores.
6/4: Large orchestras, large community band, and equipment nerds. Wagner, Bruckner... the huge stuff.

I chose to go with a 3/4 and a 5/4 horn, a pairing that suits my needs perfectly.

To me, a 5/4" tuba features 19 to 20mm valve bore, up to 500 mm bell diameter, and a bottom bow somewhere between that manufacturer´s 4/4 and 6/4 model (Duhhh...). Broad and commanding sound rather than nebulous woofyness. This is about where "German Sound Concept" ends, in my personal opinion.
Quite an awesome instrument concept, I think...
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Re: What is a real 5/4 tuba?

Post by royjohn »

Ok, so I measured my Mack Brass 410 and it is about 40.5" tall and 16.4" at the top of the bell ferule, which I guess make it a 4/4.

Out of curiosity, what would be the corresponding measurements on a Miraphone 188?

-royjohn
royjohn