F Bass Tuba Tuning Tendencies Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

F Bass Tuba Tuning Tendencies

Postby ATschetter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:01 pm

So I'll be heading up to Wessex's outlet in Michigan next week to look at the Berg F tuba for my undergraduate work. I have very limited experience on F tuba as far as knowing general tuning tendencies of the instrument, and I am wondering if anybody has measured the tuning of any B&S, Willson, Miraphone, Meinl Weston, or Wessex F horns I could use as a reference. Or if anybody just has any general comments about F tuba tuning feel free to share. Thanks.
Indiana University Jacobs School of Music BME
Hirsbrunner 392 CC
ATschetter
bugler
bugler

Re: F Bass Tuba Tuning Tendencies

Postby Casca Grossa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Just take a tuner. With little to no experience on an F, it is a completely different animal. F tubas can vary widely on tuning, even within the same model. Bring your ear and a tuner and have at it. Out of all of the F tubas I have played over the years, old, sheet brass B&S F tubas are pretty fantastic on intonation. I've had two over the years and played a few others. Never had to pull a slide or had any funky notes. My two cents, fwiw.
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Consider this:
http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84646

You may possibly end up owning it for your entire life (as I have mine, while continually comparing mine against newly-released models).

With my SAME-MODEL/SAME-ERA instrument (as the one linked), (rather than the typical 1-2 or 2-3) I use 3 for the D below the staff, 6-1-2 for the C# below the staff, I use 2-4 for the C# above the staff, and I use 1-3 for the D above the staff. I pull no slides.

I believe the linked tuba's consignment seller will be candid with you re: mechanical condition and playing characteristics.
I can see the need for a #5 slide lengthening, and possibly a linkage upgrade.
The graduated bore sizes of the linked tuba are as follows:
5 - 17mm
6 - 18mm
1 - 18mm
2 - 19mm
3 - 20mm
4 - 21mm
It is a handmade/sheet metal instrument. The rotors on this model are small, light, and quick. The same company, B&S (now owned by Buffet Crampon) currently makes what I consider to be a "replica" of this old model.
Last edited by bloke on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Casca Grossa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm

bloke wrote:Consider this:
http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84646

You may possibly end up owning it for your entire life (as I have mine, while continually comparing mine against newly-released models).

I believe it's consignment seller will be candid with you re: mechanical condition and playing characteristics.
I can see the need for a #5 slide lengthening, and possibly a linkage upgrade.

Get that!!!
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby ATschetter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:09 pm

I am not asking for suggestions on what to buy, only notes or studies people have made on bass tuba tuning.
Hirsbrunner 392 CC
ATschetter
bugler
bugler

Postby kmorgancraw » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:35 pm

I owned a Berg. Intonation was its strongest asset, intonation with itself was fantastic. Pay close attention to slide alignment and soldering quality. Look at the braces, and the ferrules to verify tubing is lined up well. Bring a bright little flashlight to look into the horn for messy soldering. Shine a light down the MTS pipe so you can see the valves, make sure they aren't all gunked up and not lined up, the 5th as well from the top. Use the valves a lot, make sure they don't mysteriously bind up randomly. Bring a tuner to make sure the MTS isn't too long. Before you take it home, drop it off to be professionally cleaned and have the valves aligned. This cleaning and service may expose issues you wouldn't have noticed, within your two week return window.

The Bergs play extremely well, tuning won't present any problems, look for build quality issues.
kmorgancraw
3 valves
3 valves

Postby the elephant » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:02 pm

ATschetter wrote:I am not asking for suggestions on what to buy, only notes or studies people have made on bass tuba tuning.

Casca Grossa wrote:F tubas can vary widely on tuning, even within the same model.

And you got your answer above. Brian is correct. Being even slightly less vague would net you more focused answers. Your question is like asking what the general ride characteristics are for cars. Try harder and you will get better answers.
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:16 pm

ATschetter wrote:I am not asking for suggestions on what to buy, only notes or studies people have made on bass tuba tuning.

notes:
"Most all of them are difficult to play in tune without pulling slides or lipping, and most all of them feature a very sharp second-space C, except for the one that I told you to buy".

bloke "dude... :roll: "
bloke

Postby swillafew » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm

I had a Rudy Meinl, a B&S, and now a Meinl Weston, and have used the 3rd and 4th valves as alternate fingerings on G and C. That was sufficient to tune up the scale.
MORE AIR
swillafew
4 valves
4 valves

Postby ATschetter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:23 pm

bloke wrote:

notes:
"Most all of them are difficult to play in tune without pulling slides or lipping, and most all of them feature a very sharp second-space C, except for the one that I told you to buy".

bloke "dude... :roll: "

My bad, didn't pay too close attention to the post and just the horn you linked to. Solid info.
Hirsbrunner 392 CC
ATschetter
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Your signature shows that you've pursued a top-drawer music education, and I was trying to hook you up (nope...not with one that I sell - and I DO sell some pretty damn good ones) but with the very best that was ever made.

easy = better, no?
bloke

Return to TubeNet