Before you buy a Perantucci/Robert Tucci mouthpiece:

The bulk of the musical talk
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Before you buy a Perantucci/Robert Tucci mouthpiece:

Post by Sousaswag »

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I had a problem with a mouthpiece purchase and wanted to be sure nobody else has the same problem.
Check if your horn has an American or Euro receiver. Mine (VMI) has American, as the standard PT50 didn't fit into the receiver as much as my Bach. Thus, I have exchanged it for a PT50s, which I've found out is the American shank. My point is, don't be like me, do your research before you go out and buy something like this!
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Before you buy a Perantucci/Robert Tucci mouthpiece:

Post by groth »

If you order from one of the two verified U.S. distributors of Mr. Tucci's mouthpieces this shouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't hurt to call ahead and tell them what horn you have just in case.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

That is exactly what I didn't do. I assumed since my horn is European it would have the large receiver. But it did not. I ordered through Custom Music for the sake of it being cheaper. I didn't know the S size existed until I did some googling. But my point still stands-- Don't assume what you have and do your research before you buy.
Willson 3200RZ-5
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Sousaswag wrote:That is exactly what I didn't do. I assumed since my horn is European it would have the large receiver. But it did not. I ordered through Custom Music for the sake of it being cheaper. I didn't know the S size existed until I did some googling. But my point still stands-- Don't assume what you have and do your research before you buy.
So you're saying that it's user error and has nothing to do with the Tucci Company or Custom Music Int'l right? My horn, my band mate's Miraphone 186, and my other band mate's PT-6 also have the "American Standard" shank as you say your horn does, and we have used all "Non-S" variations of the PT line in them with no issues. Maybe your VMI has a 'Small Euro' receiver on it if the "S" shank fits it. Currently that I know of the regular sized shank PT mouthpieces are not "kaiser" or "large Euro" shanks nor does Mr. Tucci make those sizes. There's a wealth of great info if you search for tuba shank size charts that might help you clear that up.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Yes. All user error. I believe my horn has an American shank receiver and found that the S size is the American shank, which explains why my Bach (also American) fits in further than the standard PT.
Willson 3200RZ-5
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Sousaswag wrote:Yes. All user error. I believe my horn has an American shank receiver and found that the S size is the American shank, which explains why my Bach (also American) fits in further than the standard PT.
That's very strange, the "S" should be smaller than American. I use regular PT mouthpiece shanks (non-S) and they fit American shank receivers just fine. Hope you get that figured out. Good Luck!
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

I see most people over here sporting PT/Besson combo using the wrong model.
Probably still thinking the "small" would be for the old British receiver.
Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- Besson 992 -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

Sousaswag wrote:I ordered through Custom Music
FWIW: They are not listed as Robert Tucci mouthpieces dealer...
Link to the dealer list:
http://www.robert-tucci.com/partner.html
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

oedipoes wrote:
Sousaswag wrote:I ordered through Custom Music
FWIW: They are not listed as Robert Tucci mouthpieces dealer...
Link to the dealer list:
http://www.robert-tucci.com/partner.html
Correct, they only sell "Perantucci" mouthpieces (or what stock is left of them before they run out). If you remember correctly the Bob Tucci brand changed names in the recent past with some design differences and new distributors. Perhaps Bob can explain that better.
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: Perantucci-Robert Tucci Mouthpieces

Post by Robert Tucci »

Dear Tuba Colleagues,

Thank you for advising in regard to mouthpiece PT/RT shank sizes. There are in fact three: Normal large "German", "S" "American" and for some models "XS". "L" and "S" are shown on at http://www.perantucci.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank. We can supply all PT models with "L" or "S" shanks. Please contact me directly (bob at perantucci.com) as required.

As indicated, the RT line came about simply because we are no longer associated with the former distributor, owner of the PT Trademark for the United States. The RT line consists of the six most popular models, RT-36, RT-44, RT-48, RT-50, RT-64 and RT-88, plus three as heavies: RT-48+, RT-50+ and RT-88+. All RT Tuba mouthpieces are large-shank only, at least for the present. These incorporate the newest refinements: the RT-64 is much different than the PT-64.

To date I have not been able to determine if the former Distributor is simply selling off remaining stock or offering "copies". If the latter should apply, such mouthpieces should be given a thorough inspection before purchase. Making something that Looks like a mouthpiece is easy, making a truly fine one requires much experience and Close Attention to Detail during actual production. I mentioned "Product Integrity", this we upheld. Genuine PT mouthpieces, those made by me on-site, are available from at http://www.perantucci.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" . The new RT mouthpieces are available from many fine Dealers in the United States, as shown at http://www.robert-tucci.com" target="_blank" target="_blank"

Please note that our Euphonium mouthpieces are now available as RT models: RT-5C, RT-6C and RT-7C. These are large (bass trombone) shank only. All RT mouthpieces will be available from the Canadian Brass Store and Baltimore Brass at the forthcoming Mid West Clinic, at the U.S. Army Band Tuba and Euphonium Conference (at which I will participate), thereafter at TMEA.

As a final note: my personal thanks to friends, colleagues, teachers and musicians who Support genuine PT and now the RT line. There are many fine mouthpiece makers; it is a Labor of Love and a person would have to look Long and hard to find one that got rich doing it! We continue on the former (and gave up on the latter!).

Bob Tucci
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Confirmed

Post by TheTuba »

Custom music sells copies of PT's.

They aren't bad, but they don't compare to my RT with the same number (44).

Also, descriptions are off. If you want the real descriptions, go to Perantucci or Robert Tucci websites.

Hope that as many people as possible see this so they get what they want, not a rip-off of it.
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Confirmed

Post by TheTuba »

I know this because I bought the fake only to realise while surfing tubenet that I had a fake lol.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

I have edited this post because I've just now seen it.

first- im very sorry in that I didn't explain my motives for bumping this.

"ripoffs" and other vague words were way too strong of words to express my view.

In better terms (and with a clearer head),
Custom music does not sell rip-offs. The mouthpiece I bought was good, good enough for me to play on it as my primary. However, I did not know that Mr.Tucci changed the distributors, so I thought I was buying an actual perantucci mouthpiece. All-in-All, this would not make many people upset, but I just wanted to let people to know that this was not a Tucci mouthpiece. However, the company and the site have great customer service, and the mouthpieces themselves have no inherent problems. It gives the other competition a very good fight, in terms of price range and performance. If requested, I can do a review on both the RT-44 and PT-44.
I'm very sorry for causing this ruckus. I have insulted a company, and have disrespected Mr.Tucci. There is no excuse for this.I hope I will be able to keep being on TN and learn from you guys. Thank you for your support and encouragement.
Last edited by TheTuba on Fri May 25, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

TheTuba wrote:bump so more people can see this.

Bought off custom music, and they do sell ripoffs.

I want people to pay for what they want, and not be scammed.
Custom Music isn't "scamming" anyone. Is Mr. Perantoni also a scammer with his MrP line? If you think Custom Music is running a scam, how about you hop on the phone and call Custom Music and ask them about it. Mr. Tucci obviously had a falling out with Custom and colors his descriptions as such.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

I agree, though Custom Music and Mr. Tucci are world's apart in frame of mind and practice doesn't mean the products that Custom Music sells are "fake". They are NOT fake Perantucci mouthpieces. They are what's left of an old stock of original Perantucci mouthpieces (assuming when the stock runs out, you won't see them anymore for sale). The OP is borderline slander of the company and to Mr. Tucci himself here.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Some posts must have been edited. At this point, it looks like the OP only offered an apparently useful tip regarding the size notation for mouthpieces bought from Custom. The accusation that showed up today sure looks rather slanderous, though.

One thing that might be learned from this: two companies offering the same product and using the same name? whatever the reason for it, it probably isn't worth the trouble.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

There is some real "Dynamic Tension" going on here!!

8)
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

bloke wrote:oh...and - btw - if some of you are looking to pick up some extra money for only a few hours each week, send me a message... :wink:

Grit is online now, which, along with blatant gender discrimination, tells you how ancient that ad is................
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Please see my edited post.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Im going to post again for the sake of my future posts.

Many here are 30-45, and even some 75+ years old.

That means that most are at least twice my age.

While that does not excuse me, I want to make my views clear. Most of the TNFJ have more experience than me, not just in music, but in life. Therefore, you control of your native language (Spanish, Mandarin, English, et.cetera) is greater than mine.

Commen courtesy and respect must always be observed by the parties involved, whether it's enemies or friends. In this day and age over the internet, it is even more important, since we often don't have facial cues or body language to base off our exchanges. All of our views are expressed in words, and if a word is too strong or too weak, it changes how people view of us.

Therefore, If I make any more controversial posts that seem too strong, please PM me. I will change the post, because I believe that you have a better control over english than I do. And in most cases, you are probably right.
Putting too much emphasis on the words I use, and putting me down over a public forum is disrespectful to me.We can talk over a PM, not in a public place where hundreds of people browse TN. As I said before, common courtesy and respect must always be observed, whether its enemies or friends.Please observe these rules with me until I have sufficient control over my words.
And bloke, apology was not needed(Since it was my fault), but appreciated and cherished
And again, thank you for your support and encouragement.