Sung fitting tuba gigbag for EEb with 17" (16 3/4") bell???

The bulk of the musical talk
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Sung fitting tuba gigbag for EEb with 17" (16 3/4") bell???

Post by MartyNeilan »

There seems to be quite a number of gigbags for the stereotypical British EEb 3+1 tuba with the 19" bell. Are there any readily available gigbags that would fit a model with a 16 3/4" bell and only 34.6" tall? Some of the bags listed for this bell size are several inches taller than I need (old Mirafone/B&S profile.)
I am looking for something to fit as snugly as possible as I don't need it catching any extra wind on the back of my motorcycle. I break enough wind already. :tuba:
Sandlapper
bugler
bugler

Re: Sung fitting tuba gigbag for EEb with 17" (16 3/4") bell

Post by Sandlapper »

I just got a Glen Cronkhite bag for a Jupiter 482. The bag seems to fit like a glove. I have only had it a short while but it seems to be on par with a Cronkhite bag I've had for over five years and have been exceedingly happy with. Not cheap, but good protection. YMMV but I haven't gotten any dents in the older horn while its been in the bag being moved. The website is http://glenncronkhite.com/product-category/tubabags/" target="_blank The email address is Torpedo Bags sales@torpedobags.com" target="_blank

This a new manufacturer for tuba bags but have been making trumpet bags for some time. They have all of Glen's patterns and they were able to provide a bag with an exact fit for the Jupiter. The only significance is the foam they are using is a little stiffer and thicker. I ordered a bag as soon as they started production and it was delayed for a few weeks. This is the reason I was given for the delay by Lindsey Deming, Director of Sales for Torpedo Bags & Glenn Cronkhite Custom Cases "We started production a few weeks ago on the tuba bags using our high density foam. However, it did not compare well with Glenn’s previous bags, so we ordered a higher density/high resiliency medical foam that is comparable, if not better than Glenn’s foam." I think the foam they used in the Jupiter bag is going to give a tad more protection that the foam in the original.

My first bag was a generic that was very unsatisfactory. The two bags I currently have are outstanding.

Best of luck in your search
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I have a reunion blues bag for a miraphone 383. That has a 15 inch bell. I think it has enough room to be perfect for your horn. I do not see a model number. I think if your call them, you should be able to find what you need.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Thanks for the feedback so far; the Cronkhite bags are undoubtedly excellent but 1/3 the price of the horn, and money is tight (hence commuting on an '05 Honda motorcycle.) I looked into that RB, but that appears to only be a 16" bell max.
Keep 'em coming!
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

Sounds like you have a Wessex Solo like me- I use the Miraphone e flat bag. The front of the horn fits against your back but it holds well and fits including the bell. If I walk a bit with it and the 4th slide is out it can come loose, but it is the best bag I have found aside from a custom bag.
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

I use a Gard gig bag with my Besson New Standard 35" inch high 15" bell the site says it is designed for this tuba but it only works if you remove the strips of customisable foam that are held in place with Velcro.
The bell disc and cone fits and the bag is very comfortable when carried on my back.
I have used it for 4 years now and it still looks good no zip problems and no new dings in my tuba.
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.