Post by MartyNeilan »

What does a Lutheran chicken say?

Bach, Bach, Bach, Bach
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

"The Faithful Cellist" is pretty good. Arrangements by Phillip Keveren for Cello and piano.

A few of the pieces are: "It is Well with My Soul"; "This is My Father's World"; "A Mighty Fortress"; "Tis so Sweet to Trust in Jesus".

I got my copy from the "Church Instrumentalist.com". $15.95 plus shipping.

http://www.chandlermusic.com/churchinstrumentalist/
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
twoconnguy
bugler
bugler

Post by twoconnguy »

Judas Maccabeus. A fine solo and Handel's melody is also used for a common hymn, "Thine Is The Glory"
Silver 25J, Bell Up & Front
Silver 38K Sousa
186-4R Mirafone, Bell Up & Front
M & W 19, Detatchable Bell
First John Philip Sousa Memorial Band
http://www.sousaband.net" target="_blank
Plymouth Concert Band
http://www.plymouthconcertband.org" target="_blank
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Pat Sheridan's Ave Maria-Bach/Gounod is about the most beautiful thing i've ever heard(at least with him playing it)...
tubamirum
bugler
bugler

Lutheran church solo

Post by tubamirum »

Transpose the triplet figures that go with the Bach "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" your organist and choir will love it . (unless they are stuck in the mud)
it was fun playing with some of you guys
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Ein Feste Berg is a winner in any synod. Maybe you could do an obligatto part in the middle which will display the instrument's appeal to us 'beNetters
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Ave Maria wouldn't fly in ELCA either I don't think. At least it wouldn't here in West Palm Beach, FL. Beautiful piece however... Shubert or Bach/Gounod.
NC_amateur_euph
bugler
bugler

RE: Solos for a Lutheran congregation

Post by NC_amateur_euph »

My experience: Missouri Synod, very traditional/liturgical congregation that really digs brass of all kinds. Pastor is an opera fan and will not countenance anything amplified. The only drums I've ever seen (in 10 years) were tympani.

We use instrumental/choral music for prelude, anthem, during communion, and postlude. Since the choir only participates at the second (of two) services, I have sometimes provide some or all the "incidental" music for the early service.

I have used - some accompanied & some not:

(Written by an euphoniumist - you tubers take it down an octave):

Telemann - Heroick Music (arr. David Pizarro, pub by Lorenz Publishing).

Reformation Chorales - Robert King/Leduc - written for 4-part but the melody line can be used - they are short and I have strung several together depending on the time to be filled.

Berlioz - Recitative & Prayer - Mercury Music/Theodore Presser

Would like to use selections from the Bach Cello suites but have yet to get even one selection fit for public consumption.

Hope music's catalog has some selections - for both solo and duet - that may be appropriate.

Last but not least - I have played selections from the Rochut and Voxman books. Properly selected (and with judicious repeats and dal segni) they work.

Regarding the Ave Maria - I have done two versions including the Schubert (text is Sir Walter Scott rather than the Roman Ave but the tune is very familiar). May not be theologically correct but I play one most every Christmas eve as part of pre-service music and the emotion overcomes the theology.

Here's hoping this helps.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

The congregation's favorite piece I ever did in the Lutheran church was "The Lord's Prayer". Not sure how it would sound with tuba though.

My favorite was a duet we did with French horn and euphonium. "The Prayer", by Carol Bayer Sager/David Foster. (The piece that Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli did with the Boston Pops a couple of years ago.) The horn played the female voice and I played the male voice part. We got the music from "Sunhawk.com" and transcribed the parts to fit horn and euph. At the key change, I changed octaves.