Thomann Grand Fifty

The bulk of the musical talk
besson900
bugler
bugler

Thomann Grand Fifty

Post by besson900 »

Hello guys!

I wrote this topic because I'm looking for cheap CC tuba for my friend and I saw thomann tuba.
I know that we had here this topic but it was 1 bad half year ago and nobody played this instrument.

What do you think about this instrument it's look like Thor copy for me. IS THAT MAKE A SENSE to buy those cheap tubas or it's better idea to wait one more year and buy for example MW 3450?
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Thomann Grand Fifty

Post by thevillagetuba »

This was shared in the last topic about the Thomann:

http://eduardruano.com/2015/04/analisis ... and-fifty/" target="_blank

It's a full review and side-by-side comparison. Here is a link to someone selling one used that you could reach out to for an opinion as they have never responded to a thread about this model:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84655&p=637514&hili ... nn#p637514" target="_blank

In my experience, some of these clones are great for what they cost, depending on how picky a certain player is. I've done side by side comparisons of the PT10/15 clones with a GDR PT10 and Wisemann clones with a great example of a PT6P and had mixed opinions from everyone involved about what player better. Everyone could agree that build quality and finishing were not the same, but the clones are half the cost or less in most cases. I've played some Chinese clones and horns--I own one-- and am happy with what I find about half the time, though each year I find less problems from some importers/brands. Some makers are better than others and some make/sell the same thing as others for way too much.

I have no experience with this model, but think that if you/your friend want/wants a great horn and the real thing is possible and they don't want to risk dealing with any issues, go for the real thing. My 3450 is a boy to play and sounds/plays great. If you don't mind putting some money in to have some issues possibly dealt with by a tech and still most-likely end up with money left over compared to new, then go for the clone and save some money.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

There is a Wisemann 900 for sale in the classifieds section here. The Thomann might be ok, but the Wisemanns are totally fantastic, a much more known quantity.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Do the Thomann tubas have the valve cap threading issue as well?
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Post by bigboymusic »

First off, please understand I have NEVER played a Thor.... I can't compare the two...

I also have never played this horn with the original mouth-pipe and valves. Only the custom and MAW valves.

What I can tell you is that if my family wasn't suddenly saddled with medical bills beyond our income, there is no way in &*^&* I would sell this horn. Is it perfect, no way.. There are a couple notes that require a small pull or push here or there, like most CC's. Take into consideration that I am selling this horn, but if you ever get to play one, you will understand.

The lows are easy as butter. Snedicor etudes at FFF or ppp no problem. The high range is as good as any Eflat tuba I have owned. I play it with a PT88, and just performed the 1st tuba part on Symphonie Fantastique with no issues at all. I also had been working on 'Carnival' and the Barnes Concerto. So easy to play

It is a big beast, but I'm 6'1 and have no issues. It is VERY responsive. More PT-6 VMI-ish than the heavier gauge older MW's I have played of the same size (Fafner). I find that it takes much less work to play than some of the same size horns I have had a chance to blow on. I had to watch that I wasn't covering other sections when I thought I was blending...
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S