The amazing Bohland & Fuchs 5/4

The bulk of the musical talk
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

The amazing Bohland & Fuchs 5/4

Post by hubert »

Today I finally had the rare opportunity to play an original Bohland & Fuchs Bb from around 1930, just the same as Walter Hilgers years ago chose as a modell for the Meinl Weston 197. It is a big 5/4 of around 112 cm height and a bore of 21,5 mm. The instrument, I had the chance to hold in my hands, is a meticulously restored example of the B&F, that at the moment is for (private) sale in Germany. A few characteristics that impressed me very much were:

a.The weight of the instrument. Each and every part of the instrument was handmade. Because of that, the instrument is unbelievably light. My estimation is around 8,5 kg.
b. The sound and dynamic range: dark as a double bass, powerfull as a tuba section on its own, as gentle and soft as a stringed instrument, when needed.
c. Easiness of being played in tune from the lowest to the highest registers.
d. A more than satisfying flexibility, given the size of the instrument.

I returned home with more admiration than ever for the craftsmanship of the 1930s. Of course, we are lucky to have an enormous palette of choice of instruments today. But perhaps in some respects the craftsmanship of the past still is or should be a valid standard for today's achievements.

Sorry, forgot to take pics. But, the eager one will find them on the web :oops:
Best,
Hubert
Chris Mayer
bugler
bugler

Re: The amazing Bohland & Fuchs 5/4

Post by Chris Mayer »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jH3sCTzek7k" target="_blank" target="_blank (maybe this was the tuba ?)

same description holds for an Alexander 164 and even its „little“ brother Alexander 163 (and yes, they play in tune; or a R. Meinl 5/4, or the Hirsbrunner Kaiser), all in BB, „of course“. Still fully made in the traditional way to give such an instrument all the qualitites in sound, depth, colour everybody is looking for and not found any more to such an extend in „industrial“ tubas.

For 10k€ you could buy a 100% Wessex Kaiser or 98% Alexander 163, 84% Alexander 164, 65%...., not such a big difference given regional labor cost differences and appreciating a more than century long legacy and experience in making such instruments...

BTW, any tuba with something like a 21,5 mm bore and. 45-50 cm bell and the respective taper would be named a Kaiser Tuba in Germany (yes there are other monsters such as the Rudy 6/4 but this would in recalibreated terms rather be a 7/4-8/4 tuba...)

Chris