1967 Mirafone 186 CC 5U Tuba
1974 Mirafone 184 CC 5U Tuba
1948 Besson 2-20 CC Sousaphone
2022 Eastern Music (Jinbao) C 4U Euphonium
WANTED: Miraphone 56A 5U C Kaiser Baritone (5 or 4+1) :tuba:
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Schiller CC 5U (Miraphone 186 clone)

Post by bisontuba »

They are nice, just like the MACK, Dillon, Baltimore Brass JZ, Wessex...there is one on eBay for $1000 with about 5 minutes to go...
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Post by geomiklas »

Last edited by geomiklas on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Schiller CC 5U (Miraphone 186 clone)

Post by geomiklas »

the elephant wrote:I still dislike most Chinese horns, but they have this specific clone dialed-in on the computer; the copy is *quite* good. ... The sound is very good and the intonation is very point-and-shoot. Response throughout is very much like the 186.
I have been playing it for the last two weeks since I received it. I concur with the above points here.
the elephant wrote: To me the bell feels like something from Meinl-Weston or maybe Yamaha. It is not a copy of the larger, modern 186 bell, but a different taper/flare altogether. I had heard that it was from another clone and it fit, so it got used. It is a good bell, whatever its source. I think you will be pleased if all slides pull and it has the better Minibal clone linkages.
I'm not sure about the bell, afterall its been several years since I played the real thing. I bought a Leather Reunion Blues gig bag for it, and it does fit super duper tight in the bag.
The horn has all of the correct measurements of The "Real McCoy" 186, so I'm thinking that the bag is just new and needs broken in. The upper 5th valve slide is a little tough, but that will be looked at next week. The minibal linkages are awesome!
the elephant wrote:Is it lacquered with a yellow brass bell or gold? Or is it silver plated?
Nickel plated.
the elephant wrote:SCORE!
the elephant wrote:Post some pics and your impressions of how it plays after you have had it for awhile. Congratulations!
No pics yet, but I'm impressed with the intonation, and the spot on accuracy playing this horn! When I bought it, I thought it would be my "stepping stone" back into the "Real McCoy" 186. But after playing it so far, I might not look too hard nor pay the price of a "Real McCoy" 186
1967 Mirafone 186 CC 5U Tuba
1974 Mirafone 184 CC 5U Tuba
1948 Besson 2-20 CC Sousaphone
2022 Eastern Music (Jinbao) C 4U Euphonium
WANTED: Miraphone 56A 5U C Kaiser Baritone (5 or 4+1) :tuba: