European tuba tour?

The bulk of the musical talk
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: European tuba tour?

Post by Ace »

Mark Finley wrote:In a couple of years my wife and I may be in a position to visit Europe. I would like to tour at least one of the major factories if possible (cerveny, miraphone, ect)

If you could do one, which one would you pick and why?
Good choices. I've owned several Mirafones and Cervenys and would like to see them being built. Unless I am mistaken, the Cerveny rotor valve instruments are built in a factory east of Prague, quite a distance (about a three hour drive) from the Amati factory near the German border.

Ace
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Regarding pickpockets, Mark, the good news is that you are like 9 feet tall, and nobody is going to mess with you. Even if you did put your wallet in your back pocket, it would be at eye level to everyone around you. Pickpockets don't want to reach UP to get to a wallet.

Or something like that. :)

I've been to Europe a handful of times, and never felt unsafe where I was. Maybe a little weirded out by the gypsies flying a sign in Venice and Berlin... but never any trouble. I know there are good and bad parts of any city though. If you can handle a trip to New York City, you should be just fine.

My best advice for traveling in Europe... don't wear an American flag T-shirt, and don't ask for ice in your drink. Even a halfass effort to communicate in the local language (and not force them to speak English) seems appreciated.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

So, to be clear, I haven't really gone to any "bad" places in Europe. For example, Leipzig isnt necessarily known for its violent gangs.

And remember Joe, I grew up on the mean streets of Baltimore. I ain't scurred... or, more like, I know how to avoid and not go places...