Search for Martin Slant Rotor

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Search for Martin Slant Rotor

Post by Dan Schultz »

Good luck. I exhausted my resources a couple of years ago.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Well.... called LB up this morning and left a message. He returned my call a few minutes ago and we had quite a conversation about stuff. He sometimes 'lurks' here but usually just to see what's in the for sale section and almost never posts. If you know LB... please encourage him to add to our conversations. He's 81 years old and has an absolute wealth of information that could be shared. He did give me permission to mention a few things about the horn.

Here's what he had to say: (Please take this with a grain of salt. My memory is not the greatest and my ability to take good notes is even worse!)

- The image of the 'IU Octet' was taken at the Conservatory of Music in Chicago in either sometime in the Spring or in December of 1963.
- The exact maker of the horn is relatively unknown. The flare had been cut on the bell. It's not known if it was done because of damage or if someone just wanted to make the bell flare smaller. The rim did not seen to be rolled on factory equipment but was apparently formed with hand tools because it was a bit crude. LB did not remember if there was a name engraved on the bell. Whether or not the main bows were Martin is pure conjecture but they appear in the picture to be 'square-ish' in shape... a characteristic of Martin tubas.
- The horn was sold to Ivan Hammond. Ivan taught at Bowling Green, Ohio. It's thought that the horn was stolen.
- Ivan also purchased an Eb Martin that apparently ended up in the hands of Don Harry. This Eb is said to be the same kind as one that was played by Paul Bierly.
- LB mentioned that he has not been in touch with Ivan Hammond for about five years. He did not see Ivan at the 2015 ITEC.

I see that Sam Suiter shared some of LB's personal information on Facebook. I won't do that here (or on Facebook) but will do what I can to share what I know with folks who have genuine interest.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

A friend of mine is playing on a borrowed slant rotor Martin but it is a BBb so I guess it can't be the one you're looking for. It is currently near Nevada City, CA.
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Post by Lars Trawen »

Hi all,
What's the difference between Martin and Miraphone slant rotor tubas?
During my time in military band I used, when marching, a Martin slant piston tuba, made by Willson,
Very convenient and easy to play.
Just curious,
Lars

https://www.miraphone.de/de/instruments ... m-4-valves" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by Lars Trawen on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Melton/Meinl Weston 200 Spezial
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

MaryAnn wrote:A friend of mine is playing on a borrowed slant rotor Martin but it is a BBb so I guess it can't be the one you're looking for. It is currently near Nevada City, CA.
Can you PLEASE send us a photo of this? :) :tuba: :?:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Lars Trawen wrote:Hi all,
What's the difference between Martin and Miraphone slant rotor tubas?
During my time in military band I used, at least when marching, a Martin slant piston tuba, made by Willson,
Very convenient and easy to play.
Just curious,
Lars

https://www.miraphone.de/de/instruments ... m-4-valves" target="_blank" target="_blank
Did you mean Marzan, instead of Martin? (And Marzan slant-rotor tubas were made by Bohm & Meinl, only the smaller piston Marzan was made by Willson).

Functionally, the slant-rotor tubas are all the same concept -- improved ergonomics (valve and hand angle, accessibility of slides, etc.) The Marzan tubas take it a step further, and put the main tuning slide at the top, so you can tune any note as needed with your left hand and the main tuning slide (instead of individual valve slides)
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Post by Lars Trawen »

Did you mean Marzan, instead of Martin? (And Marzan slant-rotor tubas were made by Bohm & Meinl, only the smaller piston Marzan was made by Willson).

Yes, you are quite correct. It was Marzan but built by Willson.
I'm getting too old. Thanks for correcting me.
Lars
Melton/Meinl Weston 200 Spezial
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Lars Trawen wrote:Did you mean Marzan, instead of Martin? (And Marzan slant-rotor tubas were made by Bohm & Meinl, only the smaller piston Marzan was made by Willson).

Yes, you are quite correct. It was Marzan but built by Willson.
I'm getting too old. Thanks for correcting me.
Lars
I'd bet my bippy that the one that Mary Ann spoke of that's in Nevada City is also a Marzan... NOT a Martin. Although not real common... there are several dozen Marzan 'slant-rotor' tubas out there.... Including a BBb and a CC that are current residing here.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"