Flight case question

The bulk of the musical talk
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Flight case question

Post by Chen »

I'm looking to get a flight case for the Willson 3050RS CC, which from what I understand is the same as the 3050S CC (piston) as far as the case is concerned, ie same size.

What do you guys use for the 3050? Have you fly with it?

One interesting I see with Walt Johnson case is that, although they are very solid cases, from my own experience and another first-hand experience, tubas got damaged (not severely, but bottom bow bent slightly) flying in Johnson cases, so I am having a little doubt about getting a Johnson case (and the fact that they are quite expensive)..thoughts?

Edit: The tuba is 3050RZ, not 3050RS
Last edited by Chen on Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Chen »

Thanks.

Is the Willson case a better case than Walt Johnson, suitable for flying? How about adding MTS, and Unitec to the discussion?

One more thing, from the size of Unitec, I think I will have to pay for oversize fee everytime I fly with the tuba. How about MTS and Johnson?
Has anyone used a Johnson case NOT been charged extra when flying?
chevy68chv
bugler
bugler

Post by chevy68chv »

If you have a flight case for a full size CC tuba I can almost guarantee that you'll get charged an oversized fee. Possibly a weight limit fee as well.
Meinl Weston 2155
Miraphone 181
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Avoid flying with an MTS case. They are nothing more than bulked up "molded plastic hard cases" and are not designed for air travel. I believe it was Chris Blaha that reported (not too long ago) his Miraphone 1291 got torn up pretty badly in an MTS.

I'd avoid Unitec as well...last year I toured Europe with two other tubists in the wind ensemble I play with, and both had damage to their horns...none "bad," but damage nonetheless.

I've had good success with Anvil cases, having used one with zero damage on the 31 day European tour I mentioned above. They are really bulky and really heavy, but they are custom built to protect YOUR tuba, and they work.

I've since purchased different tubas, and have really grown to love the Meinl Weston cases...they are very strong, light, and protect VERY well. Now, there is no MW case for the 3050, but I imagine that what you could do is find one for a 2165 and modify it for your 3050 for less than it would cost you to get a Walt Johnson case done up.

I have very limited experience with Johnson cases, having never owned one myself. I've seen MANY on them, and while they seem like great cases, some have been not nearly as well made as many on tubenet claim them to be...in my eyes anyway. I've seen more than one that don't exactly "hug" the horn, have cracks, or big sharp casters on them that would quickly tear up the inside of a car. Perhaps the latest ones are much improved...I could say for sure.

I would suggest looking around for a used case for another flavor of 6/4ish tuba to have modified or at Anvil cases. An Anvil case would likely be half the price of a Johnson case anyway.

EDIT: I agree that there is no way that you'll get an "undersized" flight case for this type of tuba. Furthermore, it will most likely end up overweight.
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

In reference to Tom who said to find a 2165 case and alter it, I'm pretty sure a Willson 3050 is quite a bit taller than a 2165. They're really tall horns. Keep in mind I have no data to back this up, only going on memory.
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ThomasP »

I own a 3050 and it is surprisingly short. I don't think they are taller than any comparable tuba. Someone might want to check the specs online.
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Chen »

HeliconMan wrote:Here's more support for an Anvil case. Though I don't own one, I know someone who flies with a 6/4 Martin upright and has had no damage, other than to his wallet. I think he says it weighs 105 lbs in total, more if he packs his clothes in the case.
Did you know how much he ended up paying for the extra size/weight?

Edit: hi guys please ignore this question. I realized it differs from airline to airline and I'll just have to find out myself.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Hi Chen,
I ordered a WJ case for my little F tuba, and was unhappy enough with it that I sent it back unused and ate the $350 restocking fee. The only thing held really tight in the case was the end of the bell....allowing the body of the tuba to swing around in the case like a pendulum. I thought that was a recipe for disaster, so I returned the case and "just didn't fly" with my tuba.

MA, who hasn't tried to fly with a tuba since.
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

I stand corrected- maybe it's the high top bow that makes it seem larger to me. Or perhaps it was the big bottle of Belgian ale I finished before visiting Tubenet last night...
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

I vote for the Johnson Case myself.
sean chisham
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Adam C. wrote:I stand corrected- maybe it's the high top bow that makes it seem larger to me. Or perhaps it was the big bottle of Belgian ale I finished before visiting Tubenet last night...
Why just finish it? Why not have the whole thing?