ContraBass (Bugle) Mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
ContraDude
bugler
bugler

ContraBass (Bugle) Mouthpieces

Post by ContraDude »

I have chugged along for a while with a miraphone TU23 mouthpiece and wonder if anyone with any corp experience knows of any mouthpieces any better balanced for a Contra in G?
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

I would imagine a Helleberg-style MP would work well- good amount of sound with clarity.

Schilke Helleberg II, Laskey 30H, or Conn Helleberg.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

The standard in many contra lines is a Conn Helleberg.

I tried a PT50 for a while in one of the big 3v DEGs, but it just didn't feel right, and knocked some of the intonation more out of whack than it already was. I put a Conn Helleberg back in, and it played correctly. It feels really good in the big Kanstuls and my King K90, too.

I know of another player that had one of the bronze Dillon Hellebergs (I honestly can't remember which variant) that worked extremely well. One of the kids in the first line that I taught brought a PT88 that played well on the smaller 2v DEGs that we had.

What kind of contra do you have?
Gorilla Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gorilla Tuba »

I have students who march in various corps. On their concert horns they mostly all use Mike Finns or Perantucci PT 48s. On their BBb Kanstul Bugles they unanimously use the standard Conn Hellebergs. Just for fun I played around with several mouthpieces on one of their contras and also came to the conclusion that the Helleburg sounded best. My Dillon G3 was pretty good, too. Big heavywall mouthpieces seemed to offer no advantage.

Sorry, lots of words to say "Helleberg, without a doubt."
A. Douglas Whitten
Associate Director of Bands
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
Pittsburg State University
tubajoe
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubajoe »

Ok... dont want to get in trouble posting here... dont want to reveal my secret identity, BUT...

The BEST lines use MATCHING pieces as you use matching horns. Same goes for brass bands using matching axes.

Use a friggin standard CONN Helelberg. Very cheap and very effective. DC aint the place to get all tuba equip jock... as you are gonna drop the damn thing eventually.. as you will be playing on pavement in every parking lot from here to Cow's Anus, Wisconsin.

The most Ott trophy winnin c/t-lines have used Conn Hellebergs.
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

Nice Ott reference, btw.
ContraDude
bugler
bugler

Post by ContraDude »

I was planning to grab a conn helleburg anyway (my dad has one of his own... but he won't let me use it). I am the new guy in the contra line, and I have to march a frankencontra! (a contra that has parts from multiple instruments... I might post a picture for you all to laugh at). I will get a new instrument before we first perform, but until then I don't think it matters what mouthpiece I use :wink: . I was just curious what everyone's opinion was.