Solo suggestions?

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Solo suggestions?

Post by Tubajug »

Greetings TubeNetters,

I may or may not be asked to play a solo at one of my high school student's Eagle Scout court of honor (I offered to play a tuba solo as a joke, but his mom might actually take me up on it...).

So....Any thoughts on what might be appropriate/entertaining? I was looking for something maybe on the patriotic side of things perhaps? I'm really open to just about anything. My chops aren't what they were in college (you tell yourself you'll keep playing as a teacher, but it doesn't seem to happen, especially when you've got a family on top of being a band teacher...), so nothing too difficult please.

Thank you for your input!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Solo suggestions?

Post by Worth »

The Boy Scouts of America (March) by John Philip Sousa is historic, classy and patriotic, yet you'd most likely have to do a by-ear distillation of the strain melodies, probably not too hard. It's also exactly 100 years old this year!
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Solo suggestions?

Post by gwwilk »

If it's before the Holidays and unaccompanied, Arthur Frackenpohl's Studies On Christmas Carols for unaccompanied tuba would give you something that's seasonal and fun.

You could borrow my copy if necessary.
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com