Advice on a MP with a more comfortable rim

The bulk of the musical talk
jajorda23
lurker
lurker

Advice on a MP with a more comfortable rim

Post by jajorda23 »

Hi all. Currently using a denis wick 3L on my 2182 F Tuba with good results. However the rim is not entirely comfortable for me and, I think, is hurting my stamina. I’ve tried both the stock MW mouthpiece that came with the horn as well as an AT8U and for both I’m getting a super weird airy sound—no idea why.

Any recs for something like the 3L but with a more comfortable rim? I know, I know, you don’t know my face. I’ve tried to give enough info. Let me know if you can assist.
Meinl Weston 2182W
Looking for a 5/4 CC tuba
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Advice on a MP with a more comfortable rim

Post by GC »

The Wick 3XL is more rounded. I use a 3CC and find it very comfortable, too.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

jajorda23 wrote:Hi all. Currently using a denis wick 3L on my 2182 F Tuba with good results. However the rim is not entirely comfortable for me and, I think, is hurting my stamina. I’ve tried both the stock MW mouthpiece that came with the horn as well as an AT8U and for both I’m getting a super weird airy sound—no idea why.

Any recs for something like the 3L but with a more comfortable rim? I know, I know, you don’t know my face. I’ve tried to give enough info. Let me know if you can assist.
Do you want the right sound (= like the one you desire) or comfort?

That appears being your situation. As I read your posting, the DW3L seals the airpath, where it passes from you into the tuba, whereas the mouthpieces that are sensed as being more comfortable introduce what I suspect being a leak to the airpath. Or maybe a disruption to your buzz.

I am a strong fan of DW mouthpieces for alto and tenor trombones. For bass trombone and euphonium I prefer the Yamaha Yeo Signature (or Replica). Rimwise this model is very similar to the DW approach, which strengthens a secure attack and a good sealing, only the Yeo has a larger cup than the DW0. In all fairness it must be said that I never have had the chance to try the DW00.

The original DW tuba mouthpiece line, before the alternative rims, have the same rim approach as for the trombones, but for me they never gave the right sound. The warmth I am out after I found in a Perantucci 50, where I opened up the backbore. There I then have to work much harder to get a clean attack due to the rounded rim with next to none inner edge.

So one always has to make ones own choices. For me the sound and the ability to control the intonation are most important. Others have other priorities.

And then we don’t always use the same terminology. I find the PT50 rim wide and almost overly comfortable. Another tubist told me he found the same rim narrow and almost giving a cutting feel to his lips.

Klaus
jajorda23
lurker
lurker

Post by jajorda23 »

Thanks, Everyone!

I took a little practice time last night and this morning and just buzzed and buzzed on the MW mouthpiece (which is super comfy) and I managed to get most of that "airy" sound to go away :tuba: Still getting the sound I want, but I think it might just take a little extra warm-up to get used to the mouthpiece. I can definitely last longer (no pun intended) on the more rounded vs. boxy rim (gosh talking mouthpieces sounds so risqué).

But seriously thanks for the suggestions. I ended up finding a euphonium forum with folks having a similar issue--extra buzzing seems to help.
Meinl Weston 2182W
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

" I find the PT50 rim wide and almost overly comfortable. Another tubist told me he found the same rim narrow and almost giving a cutting feel to his lips"

. . . which is why mouthpieces are every bit as much a 'personal choice' as the tubas we play - perhaps even more so.
jajorda23
lurker
lurker

Post by jajorda23 »

barry grrr-ero wrote:" I find the PT50 rim wide and almost overly comfortable. Another tubist told me he found the same rim narrow and almost giving a cutting feel to his lips"

. . . which is why mouthpieces are every bit as much a 'personal choice' as the tubas we play - perhaps even more so.
Oddly enough, i tried a pt50 on my BBb and found hat it was both a cookie cutter mouthpiece for me and tooooo large for my face at the same time.

It is absolutely personal to the player—which is why I framed my question around the specific issue of finding a comfortable rim while admitting that I understand that every mouth is different.

But to everyone, thanks for the advice!
Meinl Weston 2182W