VMI Neptune

The bulk of the musical talk
Will
3 valves
3 valves

VMI Neptune

Post by Will »

While browsing through the web I came across this horn. Anybody had experience playing one and where could I go to try one out? Is there a piston model?
Music Teacher
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyZ
pro musician
pro musician

Post by TonyZ »

A student of mine currently plays one (piston version) and it is a wonderful horn. We luckily have the ability to put it up against a Willson 3050S, and the Neptune ends up being the easier horn to handle with respect to both pitch and flexibilty. Great tone in all registers!
Tony Z.
Rex Roeges
lurker
lurker

VMI Neptune

Post by Rex Roeges »

I’ve owned a rotary Neptune (4098) for over 3 years, and enjoy it greatly. Some people think it a bit large, but I grew up playing Conn 20J’s and the Neptune feels just right. I’ve played it in Community Bands, college orchestra’s, brass quartets, etc. and it’s comfortable (for me) in all those venues. With a PT-9 (like a PT-64) mouthpiece, I get a very nice dynamic range and good tuning, but a PT-88 will give me a huge sound, and a few tuning issues (probably me more than the horn). I only use a gig bag with it and dents are not a concern. I’ve found it to be a well-built (re: tank) horn that’s easy to maintain and does whatever I demand of it (to the limits of my humble abilities). After some experimenting, I’ve found that a bar stool and K&M stand work best for me, unlike some horns that can sit in my lap. And, unlike some other posters, I don’t have a problem reaching the first valve slide while playing, but I don’t often have to. I’m 5’10â€
Best regards,
Rex