YBB-321 setup

The bulk of the musical talk
Ruigekerel
lurker
lurker

YBB-321 setup

Post by Ruigekerel »

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a YBB-321. As I am used to playing Eb tubas, this one is light-playing, and sounds actually very mellow.

Now is my question, what is the best setup for this instrument? It is neither small tuba, nor a big symphonic. And the bell is somewhat unusually small. So what would be your advice on:

- Gig bag
- Mouthpiece
- Practice and other mutes?
- Does a 5th valve kit exist like with the YEP-321 model?

Thanks!
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Re: YBB-321 setup

Post by TheGoyWonder »

those are pretty decent and easy-playing...if you try to milk them for all the volume they've got they can make some ugly sounds, but the basic tone is fairly large for a middling-size tuba and some of the easiest pp playing.

biggest problem is a flat Ab in staff..a 1st valve slide contraption would be interesting to see.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

These can be finicky about mouthpieces. If you're new to the BB-flat, and the tuba came with a Yamaha 67C4 mouthpiece, I say give the 67C4 mouthpiece a lengthy trial before making a switch. I never liked any of the usual big-backbore Bach models (7, 18, 24A/AW) on the YBB-321--pitch and upper register control is just too squirrelly. The Yamaha 65 mouthpiece that came with the earlier YBB-321 provides nice control but extremely bland tone quality.

I don't believe a 5th valve was ever offered as an accessory for the YBB-321 as it was with the YEP-321 euphonium and YEB-321 E-flat tuba. I'm still kicking myself for not getting one of those for my euphonium back when it was still available.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

TheGoyWonder wrote: biggest problem is a flat Ab in staff..a 1st valve slide contraption would be interesting to see.
That, and the sharp Eb in the staff. First valve C is pretty good. Everything else is pretty close once you set your slides.
The YBB-321 is a large 4/4+ tuba that has a big vanilla sound that blends well in bands. Obviously a loose copy of the old Besson/B&H BBb tubas. Not the most exciting BBb out there, but it does the job. IMO, it would be a better tuba if it were made with front valves. Then, you could fine-tune for the in-the-staff Ab and Eb instead of compromising for those notes. Also, front valves are more ergonomic and comfortable. :idea: