Sousaphone live microphone test/comparison

The bulk of the musical talk
tubajoe
pro musician
pro musician

Sousaphone live microphone test/comparison

Post by tubajoe »

I get asked this a lot, also see it debated a lot.

I made a little video comparing 4 different live microphones (not to be confused with studio microphones) These are all relatively common mics, and all work decently well and are tried-and-true workhorse mics of a reasonable and similar price point. They all have a lot in common but with some differences as well.

I explain in the video how I did this... the sound is raw into a spectrum analyzer and the mic placement is basically the same for all 4. The audio you hear for the tests is direct and completely unaffected. I tried to be as consistent and unbiased as possible. I didn't offer my opinions in the video itself, but will gladly in responses here if any interest.

I compare:
Sennheiser e609
Sennheiser e835
Sennheiser e935
Shure SM58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fjV9506d1I" target="_blank

I'll also do a followup soon hopefully with more info on mics vs the tuba...

PS - these mics also work well on a regular tuba, I simply used my sousaphone here because it was the one that was out of the case at the moment 8)
"When you control sound, you control meat." -Arnold Jacobs
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Sousaphone live microphone test/comparison

Post by Three Valves »

That mic mount looks interesting...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Thank you! That was very interesting.

I've been on a long (unending) journey trying to find the right mic, mount, amp/pre-amp/etc. for live sousaphone with band use.

It's always nice to hear and see other people's setups.
williamp
bugler
bugler

Post by williamp »

Thanks for sharing this. I'd be curious to know your preferences for he different styles you play. I'd also have enjoyed hearing the different mics played with the same bass line in different styles. A simple trad jazz bass line, funk bass line, etc, to hear the difference in sound, punch and clarity. I love the softer tone tuba-esque (IMO) sound of the e609, but I wonder if you find it defined enough for what you do.
Thanks again, I found it interesting.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

This was also a departure from the use of bass drum mics...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
David A. Goldfarb
bugler
bugler

Post by David A. Goldfarb »

I'd also be interested in hearing your thoughts on kick drum mics in comparison to the ones tested. I've been using a Sennheiser e602 (original version) with a SHU mount in a funk band, and it seems to cut through the mix in a nice way that my bandmates like.
twitter: @GoldfarbTbone
1958 BBb Martin "Mammoth"
& a handful of 'bones