Opinions on the Wessex Wyvern?

The bulk of the musical talk
willthetubaguy
bugler
bugler

Opinions on the Wessex Wyvern?

Post by willthetubaguy »

I'm looking for a reasonably priced 5/4 C tuba and this seems to be a good option. If anyone has second hand knowledge or has played on one of these tubas, please give your opinion!
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Opinions on the Wessex Wyvern?

Post by Ken Crawford »

Second hand knowledge? You just opened Pandora's box...

I can tell you that it is certainly a good tuba, that I've never played.
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

This guy seems to dig it https://youtu.be/h1YAVDSS7Os" target="_blank
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

It seems to me (at least) that while Wessex makes fine instruments, if they keep improving with every factory visit, it isn't worth buying now. What I get from that improving statement is why buy the tuba now when in 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc, it's better than before in one or all aspects? I think it's a good idea to look for a used instrument rather than a cheap new one, even if the new one is pretty good. It just doesn't seem worth spending that ~5k right now when you could either save it and wait for the Wyvern to improve more or buy a used horn. If that makes sense..
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Sousaswag wrote:It seems to me (at least) that while Wessex makes fine instruments, if they keep improving with every factory visit, it isn't worth buying now. What I get from that improving statement is why buy the tuba now when in 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc, it's better than before in one or all aspects? I think it's a good idea to look for a used instrument rather than a cheap new one, even if the new one is pretty good. It just doesn't seem worth spending that ~5k right now when you could either save it and wait for the Wyvern to improve more or buy a used horn. If that makes sense..
You're right. It is great that Wessex continues to improve, but it is also bad for customers. I've made this point before. When I purchased a Wessex instrument and had issues with it, the response in part was, oh yeah, we had that issue but it's better now... Thanks. Jonathan should drop the "we're always improving" marketing, and instead only sell instruments that are ready for prime-time. Eastman and JP don't say things like "Instruments we were selling a year ago would be rejected today."

P.S. This isn't hating on Wessex. It is constructive criticism. I would purchase another Wessex instrument if the right one presented itself.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

I think that if I were looking for a first F tuba, Wessex may be a good choice. Any other tuba I think I'd look used. It's more expensive and takes longer, but you know you're buying a model that has been built near perfect with no problems.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

I had written a review back on sept 22, 2016. What I said then still holds true. The Wyvern is simply an extremely fine instrument. Never mind any of the improvements when we talk about the impressiveness of the instrument. Pretty much all horns can use some tweaking to suit a demanding player.
If we are talking about adding 2 extra water keyes or having slides that are a little better lapped, we are missing the point of what this tuba can do.

Yes, over the summer, I put a downpayment on the new Chicago Presence 6/4 CC (York style) not that it is better than the Wyvern, but because it is simply a tuba of a different nature. And also the intonation was very fine, that being all of the harmonics were within easy lipping range. I have a chair in a rather good civic orchestra of about 85 players. Using different sized tubas is definitely appreciated when used appropriately.

I've considered using a smaller tuba for quintet, replacing the Wyvern with the Berg or even the Mahler, but I've been finding the Wyvern works fine in quintet. I can play ridiculously soft on it and still hold a supported sound with a nice core to it. Now depending on the literature, the Berg F tuba would sometimes be better suited.

If I may make one overall comment (compliment) about these Wessex designed tubas, that is that they play extremely well in tune, which to me is a deal maker/breaker on a new horn. Why would we want to be messing around so much with adult fingerings and pulling/pushing slides? Yes, a little bit here and there. But when we are trying to play long phrases with a continuous air stream, all that fussing around takes away from our focus on the music and where the phrases are going.

I've been very happy seeing that Wessex is quite interested in producing a fine line of tubas, and at the same time addressing those age old frustrations in intonation, response, overall sound, etc. I think if they were to wait until they get a particular model "perfect" then it would never get out of the factory. That they keep addressing the issues is quite significant, which is more than some others.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I find it quite surprising that anyone would suggest Wessex should not be aiming to ever improve and make better and better tubas. It does not mean horns sold in the past were not good - I know of at least two tubas sold 7 years ago still being played and giving pleasure to their owners, but yes if you look at them closely the finishing in particular will not be up to current standards, but that does not stop them playing well and serving their purpose of making music.

It seems to me that the big name companies have got complacent and now do little work to improve, or develop new products - but expect the money to keep flowing in simply through past reputation and customer loyalty. But I think they have a shock awaiting as progressive companies that really care about their products, such as Wessex introduce instruments that play as well or better - with more and more people trying and finding out for themselves. To help that, Wessex will be exhibiting widely in 2018 now we have a wide range of which I am personal proud. It seems that everyone who tries the Wyvern is stunned how good it is (to quote one professional “it is better than a Thor”).

A couple weeks ago I got out my expensive handmade Neptune and took to rehearsal for the first time for a couple years. Even I was surprised that I much preferred the Wyvern, and took that for the gig instead (and got complimented by principal trumpet on its great sound).