Info on old Buescher BBb Recording Bass

The bulk of the musical talk
Rocktuba
lurker
lurker

Info on old Buescher BBb Recording Bass

Post by Rocktuba »

Hey guys,

I inherited my dad's Buescher BBb "recording bass" (as Dad called it) and I'd like to know more about it. He purchased it used in the early 60's and it was the only instrument he ever owned. My dad had his own polka band and he played many Oktoberfests over the years! :) Anyway, a few questions...

1) How old do you think it is? The serial number is 2946xx (withholding last two digits for a little privacy). I went to one site and it seemed to indicate it was made in 1941. Do you think that's correct?

2) How much is a tuba like this worth? Not that I'll ever sell it because I won't...it means too much to me.

3) Is it a good tuba?

4) Are BBb tubas like this desirable or do most people think that they are just too big to haul around? I played baritone horn in school and that was big enough for me! :)

Tuba isn't really my thing because I'm a rock guitar guy but I enjoy looking after the tuba for dad, I still remember the Bb scale, and I have taught myself to play Edelweiss by ear (I haven't read sheet music in 30 years). I sound terrible but it's so much fun to play! Tubas have wonderful character. As much as rock is my thing and always will be, I have a VERY strong appreciation for instruments like this and especially when they play music 180 degrees out of phase with what I ordinarily play. Variety in style and instruments is cool.

Thanks so much! :)
Paul
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Info on old Buescher BBb Recording Bass

Post by roughrider »

Hi Paul,
The recording bass tubas are very good for outdoor and selective indoor playing and exactly what your dad did with it in his polka band! The sound really projects across the band and into the audience as well. I have owned a King recording tuba for over forty years and have used it for polka work and in a concert band. It has worked very well indeed, however dynamics must really be observed with these horns as they can overtake a group if the player is not careful. As to the value of the horn, I will leave that to the jury here who I am sure will have several opinions on its value. I have a Messina Covers case that I had made for the King and I carry it on my back. It has a large pocket for a folder and a smaller one for a mouthpiece and other stuff. Good for you for preserving your dad's memory through the horn and playing it!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Does your Buescher looks like this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Rocktuba
lurker
lurker

Post by Rocktuba »

My Buescher is a 4 valve BBb. Is that just about as big as a tuba gets? I truly have no idea. And from my serial number, do you think a 1941 manufacturing date is correct? Still would love to know rough value too for insurance purposes though I don't expect it's worth a whole lot...though it's in very nice condition with separate cases for bell and body. I'd never sell it anyway. :)

Paul
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

I think Conn had a hand in it

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67995&hilit=+Buescher" target="_blank

The year (1941) fits right in, too.

Impossible to know value without going over it, but I'd suspect $2-3 K might be in the ballpark.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".