Cimbasso at NYC Tubachristmas ?

The bulk of the musical talk
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Cimbasso at NYC Tubachristmas ?

Post by brianf »

At many Tubachristmases there is something I call the dinosaur section, a place for extinct or nearly extinct instruments. In Chicago someone brings their ophiclide and I bring my double bell euphonium. Harvey Phillips loved it! Play your cimbasso but be prepared to answer a lot of questions.
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf@windsongpress.com" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The best idea for NYC Tubachristmas -- bring the lightest and/or shittiest tuba you own. You will be standing the whole time and can't put it down, and the billion high school kids around you will smack into you constantly.

It's a good time, but I wouldn't want to bring anything that's too nice or too awkward to hold.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

bort wrote:The best idea for NYC Tubachristmas -- bring the lightest and/or shittiest tuba you own. You will be standing the whole time and can't put it down, and the billion high school kids around you will smack into you constantly.
That's how I would approach ANY TubaChristmas event!

Taking a cimbasso, to me, seems like it would magnify the problem(s).
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
rumhud
lurker
lurker

Post by rumhud »

I'm bringing an ophicleide to the Dallas and Fort Worth Tuba Christmases, and maybe Allen if enough people show. (I've been playing for about a month and I'm still figuring this thing out, so the more other players I can hide within, the better.) We shall see if I get shoo'd away.
Mark

Post by Mark »

bort wrote:... the billion high school kids around you will smack into you constantly.
Yes. I wouldn't take my cimbasso anywhere near this crowd. Look at some of the instruments they bring and wonder at how they are still playable.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

brianf wrote:At many Tubachristmases there is something I call the dinosaur section, a place for extinct or nearly extinct instruments. In Chicago someone brings their ophiclide and I bring my double bell euphonium. Harvey Phillips loved it! Play your cimbasso but be prepared to answer a lot of questions.

:D
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

I was pleased, but not surprised to see a cimbasso at NYC Tuba Christmas and I got a kick out of explaining the instrument to my low brass section (made the event a field trip for the brass band) and later to my father-in-law.

I was, however, surprised to hear it introduced with the pronunciation “CHim-bah-so”.

Just when you think you know it all... :oops:
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band