First professional CC tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
willthetubaguy
bugler
bugler

First professional CC tuba?

Post by willthetubaguy »

I'm trying to find a good CC tuba for a reasonable price. 5/4 or maybe 4/4 that provides a big sound. Copy tubas work too but just anything under $7000. If anyone has ay recommendations please tell me!
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: First professional CC tuba?

Post by Sousaswag »

I would recommend you go with a 4/4 instead of a true 5/4 (PT6 and Thor are generally considered 5/4)
In the 4/4 category you have many more options. I like the B&S Pt-20p (same as my BBb just shorter) and the Pt-606p.
4/4 horns generally are 'do all' horns, while a 5/4 may be a little big for everything. What are you going to use it for? Ensemble, quintet, orchestra, etc? That's the first question I'd ask. Hope this helps
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Ask your teacher...
Go play several different horns at either music stores listed above or at shows like MidWest, Army Tuba Conference, TMEA, etc. etc. etc..
Don’t be afraid to buy a used tuba...doesn’t have to be brand new....
KyleMG
bugler
bugler

Post by KyleMG »

bisontuba wrote:Ask your teacher...
Go play several different horns at either music stores listed above or at shows like MidWest, Army Tuba Conference, TMEA, etc. etc. etc..
Don’t be afraid to buy a used tuba...doesn’t have to be brand new....
If anything, I’d say aim for a used horn from within a decade or so. Old, vintage horns are great, but they could have issues that have been fixed with newer iterations of the same model horn.
Miraphone 188
Miraphone Firebird
obreitys
bugler
bugler

Post by obreitys »

If you’re not against a Yamaha, why not try the YCB-661? It’s a solid, versatile horn that fits right into your size range. It gets pretty good reviews; it’d be a good first pro CC. They run pretty cheap too.
willthetubaguy
bugler
bugler

Post by willthetubaguy »

I ended up getting a 4/4 Hirsbrunner, disregarded my budget but should treat me well.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

willthetubaguy wrote:I ended up getting a 4/4 Hirsbrunner, disregarded my budget but should treat me well.
Money well spent, I'd say. The time spent saving up for and/or paying off the horn will be a small fraction of the years of productive and enjoyable use that you'll be rewarded with. Congratulations!