Personal Studio Equipment Ideas

The bulk of the musical talk
mse0320
bugler
bugler

Personal Studio Equipment Ideas

Post by mse0320 »

I am looking to convert the bonus room above my garage into a music studio. It’s use would be to practice, give lessons, and an additional place for my brass quintet to rehearse.

I have not dabbled in the tech side of music but I want to be able to do intermediate quality recordings and be able set up live rehearsal setting to simulate different types of performance environments.

Looking for budget friendly equipment and ideas on what would be needed.

-mse0320
Last edited by mse0320 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Re: Person Studio Equipment Ideas

Post by Mark »

Is you want to do audio-only recordings, I think the Zoom H4n or the newer Zoom H6 are very good and affordable. However, if you are wanting recordings to solicit gigs, most venues, booking agents, etc. now want video.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

For the price, the Zoom Q2N is the best. It can be used as an audio only device and while it doesn't have all the functions of the H4, the quality of video and audio are excellant.

I don't think you will get a better band for your buck, with one purchase than any a hand held record (Zoom, or Edirol are the 2 I've worked with)

If you want to go down the rabbit hole of setting up a Mixer with separate Mics for everyone and a computer workstation, your cost would be 10x that of the Handheld recorder and may not even produce a better recording.

Depending on the way your room is built the local acoustics of the room may not conducive to quality recordings.
_______
As I am currently in home renovations these are the side bar questions:

How is the Room finished? Drywall?, Hardwood Flooring? Electricity? Insulation/soundproofing from the rest of the House? Lighting?

To me, it's easier to add a rug to "deaden" a room then it is to add reflectors to "liven" it. (Curtains, bass traps, sound diffusers, etc)

If you have to run new power, try running separated lines - Speakers and amps sometimes buzz and hum when they are on the same circuit as a dimmer or any types of screens (TV, Computers)

If you are practicing in a house where you don't want to disturb the other cohabitants, Roxul soundproofing insulation and two layers of drywall make for really nice soundproofing.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

If you have an Apple laptop, open up Garageband. Add USB interface ($100) and whatever microphone fits your budget. This is a good place to stretch the budget.
MORE AIR
mse0320
bugler
bugler

Post by mse0320 »

Mark and PMeuph, are the Zoom products geared towards only recording one player at a time or is it good enough to record a small ensemble?

Swillafew, I didn’t even consider garage band. I have been told to stay away from usb mics but that may have changed within the last few years as technology is constantly improving.

Back to PMeuph, the house is currently under construction so double drywall is a good idea! Carpet will be going on the floors too.

Any ideas on how to add reverb electronically into the room?
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

mse0320 wrote:Mark and PMeuph, are the Zoom products geared towards only recording one player at a time or is it good enough to record a small ensemble?

Swillafew, I didn’t even consider garage band. I have been told to stay away from usb mics but that may have changed within the last few years as technology is constantly improving.

Back to PMeuph, the house is currently under construction so double drywall is a good idea! Carpet will be going on the floors too.

Any ideas on how to add reverb electronically into the room?
I think the Zoom products do then to be aimed for the individual use. But, they can be used to record a full band. I used one this summer to record a full band but can't seem to find the excerpts. I'll track them down and share if you want. I have some quintet excerpts that aren't too bad.

You should indeed stay away from USB Mics, they're mostly aimed at podcasters. What Swillafew was suggesting though, is to get an interface(Like the one below) to plug in XLR Lines and regular mics.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... -with-midi" target="_blank
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Personal Studio Equipment Ideas

Post by swillafew »

Presonus interface (2 channel) is a 100, give or take. Works great. AKG C1000 is an awesome general purpose mic, I have two. Affordable and easy to use, and mine are several years old already with many years left in them. I got two when the local store had it's annual sale. When they were brand new we tried one on the wife's saxophone, and we never looked back.
MORE AIR
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Personal Studio Equipment Ideas

Post by Radar »

I've got a zoom H4n and my wife has used it to record several of my big band concerts, and concert band concerts, both indoor and outdoor and it works quit well for recording large groups as well as in my practice room to record myself. I do find you get better results if you put it on a mike stand (it comes with an adapter for a mike stand), and buy the optional wired remote to turn it on and off. With it on a stand you don't get the handling noise which you get quite a bit of if you try to hold it, and turn it on and off at the unit.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
Mark

Post by Mark »

mse0320 wrote:Mark ... are the Zoom products geared towards only recording one player at a time or is it good enough to record a small ensemble?
That is a H4n on the tripod in front of my brass quintet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... odibOMX6uk