RM-9 mouthpiece differences

The bulk of the musical talk
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

RM-9 mouthpiece differences

Post by ppalan »

I recently tried a friend's Rudy Meinl RM 9 mouthpiece on my Wessex Berg F tuba. Although I didn't really play on it for very long, I liked how it felt and what I heard. He didn't really know much about it as he had gotten from someone else. I looked at the Thomann website. They have 2 versions: one with an 8.00 mm bore and one with a 7.80 mm bore. What would be the reason for choosing one over the other? Also, I know they are available from Dan Oberloh.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Re: RM-9 mouthpiece differences

Post by smitwill1 »

I've found that my Yammy 822-F is more "F-like" in tembre with the smaller bore RM-9 vs the larger one. Ultimately, I've found that the Miraphone TU-13 (very much like the old PT-9/RM-9 7.80) provides me with the "zing" I expect from an F tuba and fits into the receiver a bit deeper, which lets me pull a bit more main slide out ('cause sometimes it's cold here in Idaho and I need room to push in a tad in the winter).
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

The RM-9 Mouthpiece

Post by Robert Tucci »

Here we have a classic brought forward for an interesting discussion. In 1971-72 I worked with Bruno Tilz in order to develope a good, modern mouthpiece for F-tubas. We made several prototypes, then variations on these and finally, the mouthpiece which became the RM-9, the PT-9 and later, the PT-64. Bruno Tilz is now eighty-five years of age, one of the finest and most experienced mouthpiece maker we have in Europe who still works daily in his small shop.

In 1996 I moved the "64" to CNC production. Much had changed in twenty-five years and the initial mouthpiece that resulted with the "65". Here again: a progressive and highly-successful mouthpiece. At that we still had many order for the "64" so that I reworked the initial design back in that direction. A few years ago, the basic "64" was developed into the Canadian Brass Heritage Series MB-64, a rather elegant mouthpiece both in form and musical properties. With a relatively light shell, this mouthpiece has tonal and technical flexibity coupled to excellent response.

To return to the subject at hand, the classic "64" was again reworked last year, for various reasons, into what has become the RT-64. The rim is narrower, the inner edge is more defined as compared to the cushion-nature rim of the 64, the cup is slightly shallower and the backbore much different. The performance range was moved up a bit. That is: the highest F-tuba notes are not "quite so high" as they were. Part of the development was to obtain better lock-in on low notes and retain an essentially dark sound.

At that time I am faced with another challenge. Our former U.S. distributor discontinued ordering our mouthpieces from my company in 2015. In short, we no longer supply the former distriubutor with mouthpieces offered by them under the Perantucci name. What they offer now, where this comes from and in particular, the quality of such offerings has yet to be determined.

For a musician who prefers the classic lightweight shell, the MB-64 would be a good choice. For the player who requires more strength in the sound for high dynamic playing, the revised RT-64 would be a good investment. The PT/now RT-65 or 65S (small shank) would be similar to the proven "65".

There are many fine mouthpieces available: the one that enables the player to make music is the best one. Please feel free to contact me as required. We can supply any Bruno Tilz model on good terms, the classic (round rim) "64" as well. Canadian Brass Heritage Series and genuine Robert Tucci mouthpieces are available from the Canadian Brass Online Store. For those attending the Midwest Clinic, Mike Jipson of the CB Store will have the mouthpieces mentioned.

Thanking interested readers, I remain.. tubistically yours,

Bob Tucci
Munich
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

69C4 throat diameter is a mystery, but C4/TU23 is supposed to be a distinctive 7.5 mm.

While making a half-hearted search for the Schilke throat bore, I noticed several reports from tubenet that the Schilke sounds different than the Miraphone, whatever their nominal dimensions, and I suppose it raises the possibility that similar results might emerge from comparison with the RM9.
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

RM-9 mouthpieces

Post by Robert Tucci »

Some clarification on my part is necessary. As mentioned the entire "9" mouthpiece series dates back to 1971. The base model remains available from the Bruno Tilz company as part of their "M" series. In short, the M-9. This mouthpiece was offered at the time as the RM-9, the reference being to Rudolf Meinl.

Several years ago Rudolf Meinl began offering his own version of the RM-9, as manufactured for him by the Josef Klier company. This base model is available from the Rudolf Meinl company in throat bores ranging between 7.8 and 8.4 (or higher) Millimeters. These are quite good mouthpieces, adjusted to the response and tonal characteristics of Rudolf Meinl Cimbassi and F-tubas.

In regard to the Robert Tucci RT-64, the throat bore is 7.8 Mm.

Bob Tucci
Munich
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

Bob,

thanks for all your insight and information. (BTW we have mutual friends David and Ron Tasa). I have a question for you. I play an 822 very well with a Monette 94f prana. Huge deep sound and nice range and response. I am wondering if there is something different for solo playing that is better suited.
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Mouthpiece Recommendation

Post by Robert Tucci »

Eric,

Thanks for the shout and inquiry. You have some fine equipment! My advise remains essentially the same: the mouthpiece with which music can be made without attention to or distraction from the embouchure is the best one. This could be compared to a sport jacket: if it does not feel right, it won't look right. Borrow what you can, give each and every mouthpiece a test on the firing line.
Please direct further inquiries to me bob at perantucci.com.

All the best in your musical endeavors!

Bob Tucci