CC vs BBb

The bulk of the musical talk
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

CC vs BBb

Post by bone-a-phone »

Trombone player here. Prospective tuba doubler. Getting a BBb tuba seems like a no brainer. Everything works like the euphonium, but an octave down and more air. But there are so many nice CC tubas out there. I typically do transpositions via clefs (read trumpet music and Eb and F tuba by reading written music as tenor clef plus one or two flats, octave shift, read alto sax as bass clef add 3 flats, French horn as mezzo-soprano clef plus one flat.)

Reading for a CC when I'm so used to the Bb trombone and euphonium is just lowering the pitch a step, so a Bb would be 1st valve. C is open. D is 1+3/4. Once you get comfortable with that kind of transposition does it mess with your Bb reading? Do tubists find it easy to move back and forth between CC/BBb/Eb/F?

Is what you get with a CC enough of a benefit to justify the PITA of transposition or learning a new set of fingerings?
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: CC vs BBb

Post by Sousaswag »

CC will probably end up costing you more money. If money is no object, get what you want. There are some very nice CC tubas out there that are certainly better than a lot of BBb's. That being said, a good BBb is probably the better option. If you already know euphonium why go through the hassle of new fingerings? I love my BBb, and since I got an exceptional deal on a great horn, I went with BBb. It's perfect for what I use it for. (Quintet, Wind ensemble, Tuba Christmas, etc.) And since I play euphonium, no transposition required! Point is, if money is literally no object, pick any key you feel like you want to learn. CC tubas are more expensive (most likely) but they are what 90 percent of professionals play. Hope that helps
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

bone-a-phone wrote:Is what you get with a CC enough of a benefit to justify the PITA of transposition or learning a new set of fingerings?
Not for a doubler.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I suppose there might be different issues for other players but with me it's not a fingering or transposition issue as much as it's a chops and ear issue.

I can play all keys of tubas but find my ability much better if I stick with one key. In my case... 99% of everything I play is in the normal range of a BBb tuba.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

From your note, you seem to be able to transpose most any instrument key to do what you want. Then the issue of fingering transitions become the predominant issue. The first question you should ask is, what am I going to use it for? If you are going to play a lot of music with a lot of sharps in the key signature (aka orchestra music), then a CC might be worth your time. If you are playing in quintet, community band, jazz/polka/pop combo, and/or tuba Christmas then a BBb or Eb would be a better choice. An Eb would likely be the cheapest option among the three. Bloke may be right in an Eb tuba is best for you. The used market is full of Eb tubas. The three valve versions are the cheapest, but they have limitations on range and sometimes intonation. Have you considered a really good bass bone? It may serve your purpose, but again what are you going to use it for?
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

I'm not suggesting you get a CC, but if you read trouble clef Euphonium in Bb, or know Trumpet fingerings then you already know the CC tuba fingerings you just need to get used to reading them in Bass clef. I made the transition to CC from BBb fairly easily because I already knew Treble clef Euphonium fingerings and applied them to the CC tuba. Since I've been doing it for a while I find I just need to run a few scales to get used to the different key horn again, so switching between by BBb Sousaphone and my CC tuba hasn't been an issue for me, just like going between treble clef Euphonium and Bass clef Euph is fairly easy for me as well.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

I'd be using it in trombone ensembles predominantly, but some small orchestra, and possibly brass quintet. I already have a good bass bone, but want somewhat more presence, especially at lower volumes. I tried to use my euphonium, but it (or I) just didn't cut it. Some of the Eb tuba I've heard might fit the bill, but some looks/sounds like a slightly glorified euph. I'm willing to look at some of the bigger sounding Ebs. Specific model numbers would be most helpful.

I'm having some difficulty with the scale of these instruments. Is there a number I can rely on to achieve the weighty sound? Like a bell diameter, or the 4/4, 5/4, or a throat-to-bell ratio, or maybe volumetric displacement?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Though now that everyone's going to be switching to bass tuba, you might be able to pick up a pretty good deal on a contrabass (whether C or Bb.)
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:Buy a 3+1 compensating Eb tuba.
Bill Reichenbach is playing a Eb compensator in this video and I think he might also be a trombone player :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fNAUXOeXew

As for the rest of the players ... bunch of amateurs! :twisted:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

bone-a-phone wrote:I'd be using it in trombone ensembles predominantly, but some small orchestra, and possibly brass quintet. I already have a good bass bone, but want somewhat more presence, especially at lower volumes.
BBb. 'Prolly a 4/4 BBb. Exactly an octave down from the trombones & euphs, lots of options, and cheaper than CC. Yeah, a contrabass tuba, even a regular "4/4" size CC or BBb, will have a depth of tone -- particularly in the lower register -- that will not be found on any bass tuba. There are some nice 4/4 CC tubas around, but harder to find and still more pricey than 4/4 BBb tubas.
IMO, the B&S 'Sonora' and 'Musica' rotary BBb's are nice, as are the Cerveny 681 and Meinl-Weston 25 (large 4/4+). The King 2341 is also a nice 4/4 BBb. And there are good, cheaper copies of these tubas. :idea: