The one that got away...

The bulk of the musical talk
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

MW2155 in silver plate - looked and played like a MW2000! Sold it for financial reasons. Student at Temple U has it now.
TubaSteve
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaSteve »

Well, I don't know if this one counts, but one horn that I would really want back was one that was never really mine. It was a school horn that I played on in High School. It was a Reynolds Contempora Recording bass that had been just overhauled. It was in perfect condition and for me a beginner, it was just beautiful and I was in awe of it's beautiful laquer. I was so discouraged when I graduated when I had to return the horn and leave it in the hands of those that didn't share my concern for it. To this day, I still want to have one like it.
Steve
MW-25, 2-Reynolds 170 (BBb Recording Bass), Reynolds 180 (EEb Recording Bass) , 2-Reynolds 140 Sousaphones, Holton 350, others.....
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

chronolith wrote:MW2155 in silver plate - looked and played like a MW2000! Sold it for financial reasons. Student at Temple U has it now.
How does a MW 2000 play?

MA
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

MaryAnn wrote:
chronolith wrote:MW2155 in silver plate - looked and played like a MW2000! Sold it for financial reasons. Student at Temple U has it now.
How does a MW 2000 play?

MA
I'm sure there is a certain amount of discussion on these horns in the archives, but I guess you could describe in the most general type of response as the difference between a quirky factory horn and a horn that was built by hand. My 2155 didn't have the typical tuning problems of some of the 2155's out there. Even all the way up and down. The kind of horn you could play for a lifetime with care. Responsive with little effort. I was VERY sorry to have to get rid of it
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

MaryAnn wrote:
How does a MW 2000 play?

MA
You blow into it and move the valve buttons up and down. :wink:
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Another horn I thought of that I miss was my first tuba in High School. It was a 3 valve compensating Besson BBb. I didn't own it, but I was the first person to play it. It's probably trashed by now, and it's probably just my fuzzy memory of over 30 years ago, but I remember it having the sweetest sound of any tuba I had played, or have played since.