tuba tablature...??

The bulk of the musical talk
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Re: tuba tablature...??

Post by TubaDude »

If one was playing a CC tuba would there be a corresponding tab line? Just a thought?
TubaDude
1909 King Helicon with 4th Valve Added
1913 York 4 Valve Eb/C Helicon (for sale)
Coffeescar
lurker
lurker

Post by Coffeescar »

What my middle school used was a custom printing of the what was basically the essential elements books with a key guide above the notes, which looked roughly like

0 1 1
--3 2

-----D
---C
Bb

But with the Staff and notes instead of the letters like I have above. This system was really useful during marching band season whenever we conscripted some poor freshman flute players to round out the Sousaphone section and they had to learn a whole new clef along with the instrument. It lets you read the music as intended, and reinforces fingerings.

Edit: sorry the formatting kept getting thrown off after hitting submit
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

So would the Ride of the Valkyries have helicopters in it instead of foot steps?
MW 45k
Alexander 163CC 5v
Conn 72h, 1G
King 2280
Used to own: MW20 BBb(super old model) 1915 Conn Grand Orchestral BBb, small valve MW 2145
Used to borrow: Miraphone 190 CC, from IAA
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Remember cash registers? Those things with numbers?

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

That's an inventory control measure more than anything else. With a regular till, if $2.70 is put in for pancakes, you don't know how many orders of pancakes you sell. If a button is pushed for "Pancakes" and $2.70 is put in the till, you know how many pancakes you sold. Multiplied by everything on the menu, you can find out what sells and what doesn't and make changes accordingly. Profit margins in restaurants can be pretty small so you really don't want to offer things few want to buy.

Jeff "family members in the restaurant industry" Benedict
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Tablature for guitar works because the guitar can be successfully played while only knowing the neck position of chords. Singers can accompany themselves by strumming chords and singing the melody. The notes of the melody have to fit with the harmony/rhythm of the chords so the singer adjusts to fit. For someone who knows lots of chords, the chord pattern could be written just with letters. For someone who knows a few chords but not many, they would be thrown askew with an unfamiliar chord notation so they need to read it/learn it from the chord tablature. Someone who learns chord patterns really doesn't need any written music for long as they learn the basic to advanced patterns.

Tubas play single notes, not chords. First teaching a student how to read rhythm with a metronome and clapping could teach the length of notes. When rhythm is mastered (or at least taught) making a traditional score with fingerings below, letters and noting all the sharps and flats when appropriate would teach how to read the music off the page. I'm sure we have all been in a rehearsal where the conductor has the group put down their instruments and clap out the rhythm. When the rhythm is mastered, the instruments come up.

Guitar players get along without knowing how to read music because they really don't have to unless they want to. Solo patterns can be worked out by ear and memorized. It probably wouldn't take too long to teach a person how to accompany themselves on a hollow body. Personally, I think they are limiting themselves by not knowing how to read notes but many guitar players would disagree with me.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to Bloke, Mrs. Bloke and all of the good folks of TubeNet.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

You guys crack me up. Having grown up around South Philly or Sowf - illy" (as it sounded in the ears of this righteous South Jersey brat) I recall around this time of year the String Bands were all gearing up for the annual Mummer's Day Parade on New Years Day. Now, I personally never saw a tuba or a tuba derivative in any of the string bands (Yes, in the comedy division bands). But considering the level of diversity of experience of those Banjos, accordians, saxophones, glockenspiels and of course the marching string bass, there is (at least to this withered mind) a raft of players that simply just learned to play the tunes. "Chinatown" comes to mind as does "I Left My Love in Avalon ... Beside the Sea." But the tune that gives me some evidence that there was a tutor for learning to play these tunes and march at the same time, did happen to exist. It was probably written on old damp beer napkins in a dark and sleasy bar on South Street (or "Sowf - street" as it sounded in the ears of this righteous South Jersey brat.) However, bare footed? NO. Dem strutters of course had on "Golden Slippers." [Ba dum dump] But did they actually have a short cut, or pneumonic for learning those tunes. No. Not really. They always just knew them. They would pick up their ax and keep at it until it didn't sound quite so bad. But it was really the lead glockenspiel that cut the tune. Then with 20 banjos, some one was playing the right note. Even tablature requires reading, and on a freezing New Year's day, that is just not what that culture was all about. March the parade and then hit the bars on the back streets. This has been your correspondent coming from Philadelphia around 1965 when most of the music was drowned out by the sirens on the police cars. Then the guy next to ya yelling obsenitiens at ya for getting mustard off your pretzel on his clean jacket. All this while the oil from his hoagie is dripping on your pants. Minnesota, my new home of the past 50 years is so culturally deprived. But I'm sure at least dozens have compiled their own book of tabluature for tuba. After all Minnesota is Polka Band country. Some have even learned to play tuba with out using the valves. REALLY!!!!

Just to add an afterthought: Ta blat ure (sure sounds in the ears of the righteous South Jersy brat) as "to blat your" -... tuba. And really does that take a tutor or olio of exercises with elaborate diagrams and charts. However, one of the references that could be found in a Minnesota Tablature book would be a list in the front of the requisites for achieving the true old time imigrant sound on the bass horn or rain catcher. 1. Be sure your chops get a nice tan from sitting on the tracktor or driving a team of mules all day. 2 Smoke as may cigars in a day as you can afford - thus the cheaper the better. 3. Simply, and this one is the kicker, NEVER, yes NEVER practice. 4. Learning to keep a lit cigar in the fingers of your left had while holding the tuba, and managing to take a puff without losing a beat is the mark of a true artist. This is usually a competition each year between the Czechs and the Germans.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
eutubabone
3 valves
3 valves

Post by eutubabone »

How fast would feet have to go for 16ths at 120?
That would be interesting to see.... I think.
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

16ths at 120?

...Would be separated by dotted eighth rests, of course.
MORE AIR