Need help finding info on a vintage mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
Jthaxton12
bugler
bugler

Need help finding info on a vintage mouthpiece

Post by Jthaxton12 »

Hey everyone!
I have a really cool and what i have been told really rare to see these days. It is a Vincent Bach Corp. Mt. Vernon NY Gold 24 AW and has a very thin rim.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WJyZ7ejqqBNtu99m1" target="_blank" target="_blank

Please let me know your thoughts! Should i have it copied?

Thanks!
Joshua :tuba:
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Need help finding info on a vintage mouthpiece

Post by Doug Elliott »

In my opinion there's no way that's original - it's been modified a LOT.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

It has been modified. You can tell if for no other reason than "24AW" means model 24 inside diameter cup, "A" cup (deep) and "W" rim (wide). So no matter when it was made, if it doesn't have a wide rim, it cannot by definition be original.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Isn’t it almost a Conn Helleberg type of rim?

Years ago I in private discussed rim shapes with Mike Finn. We agreed that sharp edges (as coming from a flat Helleberg type rim) makes the inner diameter of the cup feel narrower than the same cup width combined with a much rounder rim, with the inner edge barely noticeable (like with the rim of a PT-50). Today I also would say that the rounder rim makes the cup feel deeper, as if its effective depth were not from the bottom of the cup to the edge of the rim, but to the top of the rim crown.

As hinted above here the modifications of your 24AW have made the cup shallower. And the sharper edge makes an already narrow mouthpiece feel even narrower.

Years ago I also discussed getting a flat rimmed PT-50 with an employé at Bob Tucci’s Munich store. He said that a PT-50 might have its rim turned down to flat. But that wasn’t really what I wanted. For me to keep the same sense of depth and width, the flat rim should be at the level of the top of the round rim. And the inner diameter at that point would have had to be slightly larger than the original one.

Klaus