Tuba Quest

The bulk of the musical talk
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Tuba Quest

Post by bone-a-phone »

It took me years to get the right trombones and mouthpieces. I'm determined that I'm not going to go through all of that for a tuba too. So yesterday I got a Mack TU220 (Cerveny 683 clone). It's not on his site, but it's a BBb 4 rotor, 34" tall, 15" bell, .787 bore etc. It is billed as a 3/4 size tuba, but plays pretty dern big to me. Hearing the notes and identifying the partials is more difficult than I thought it would be, and there is a whole host of practical junk to learn, like how to hold the slippery beast, what kind of chair to sit in, how to keep the spit from running back in my mouth, and who knows what other nonsense is waiting for me.

I feel like I need some traction tape on it or football gloves or something to help me keep a grip on it. Any hints there? Also, does it sit on your leg or...where? Do I need a special chair with an extension on the front? One of those Pringles-on-a-car-jack stands?

I've got a lot of issues that only practice will fix, but maybe I can get a hand with these practical matters. I just haven't appreciated how simple and civilized the trombone is all this time.
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Tuba Quest

Post by michael_glenn »

I like to use a BBC tuba stand for my CC tuba and a large piece of drawer liner for my F tuba. The grip helps, and taking the weight off my leg for CC is nice because I’m lazy.
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

I'll second the drawer liner. I have several partial rolls of the stuff rattling around - great for securing tubas, not to mention wrangling unruly pickle jars into submission!

As far as leg vs. chair vs. stand... you just have to experiment. I always do fine with the horn on my lap with drawer liner in between, but I also have a friend who soldered a tuba rest and telescoping arm onto a drum throne. Whatever allows you to maintain good posture and minimal muscular tension used to support the tuba, do that.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

Ok, between rather than on top of the thighs. Makes sense. I also prefer to avoid contraptions if possible. Although I might want to look at a harness for moving around, but Tom helped me out in that regard. Thanks for the drawer liner bit. I think I can make that work.
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

I was surprised how hard it is to hear partials too! Same range one bass trombone and euphonium is easy to hear. But tuba takes some ‘orienting’ every time I pick it up.
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

Btw, I just started my tuba journey too and I’m using a stand. I’m a small guy and I got the biggest horn I could budget...
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I just bought a Miraphone tuba and had the problem of it sliding off my knees. I solved this by going to my local Drug Store and got one of those neoprene knee braces. I guess an elbow brace might work too. I put this on the horn in the spot that touched my knee (or inner leg) and now it doesn't slip. You may need 2 braces, but they are inexpensive and easy to transport (aka you don't have something extra to carry). If you prefer to rest it on the chair with your legs apart, I've seen a friend use a rolled up towel another build a stand by taking a 3/4" piece of plywood and cutting it so it would fit on the chair and extend out about 12". he would put the board on the chair, sit on it and place the tuba on the part of the board that extends out. You have something extra to carry by doing this, but it is cheap and easy to modify to meet your needs.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

I rest my my 20J and mw3450 tubas on the front of the chair. I’m skinny so a normal chair works for me.

I play bari sax with a neotech back harness- i don’t know how Gerry Mulligan schlepped his Conn bari round with that tiny neck strap.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

bone-a-phone wrote: I've got a lot of issues that only practice will fix, but maybe I can get a hand with these practical matters. I just haven't appreciated how simple and civilized the trombone is all this time.
Taking a few lessons might be good. You can ask the questions live and in person.
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

Brian,
Thanks for the practical suggestions. I've thought of that board idea, but the knee guard is a great idea.

Its good to know other people are going through the same thing. I thought I was crazy because I couldn't hear the partials correctly.

Thanks to the folks who have been helpful. I hope if you ever have tbone questions, you find the tbone forum to be equally courteous and helpful.