Jacobs 90th Birthday

The bulk of the musical talk
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Jacobs 90th Birthday

Post by brianf »

Arnold Jacobs was born on June 11, 1915, this Saturday would have been his 90th birthday.

Ten years ago for his 80th birthday, there were several events, a birthday party at Harvey Phillips TubaRanch diring the Summit Brass conference, DePaul University awarded him an honorary doctorate, ITEC was at Northwestern University, and it was "Arnold Jacobs Day" in the city of Chicago. One of his birthday presents was a draft of "Arnold Jacobs: Song and Wind" which was released a year later.

While Mr Jacobs is no longer with us, there will be a celebration Saturday night in Las Vegas! Last fall Deana Swoboda called me about the conference. When I heard the dates, I told her it was Mr Jacobs 90th. She asked me to come up with some photos to show during a reception at UNLV. I had copies of the photos from the CSO tribute from 1998 and made a trip to Sarasota to look at the Jacobs family photos. During a marathon session, I scanned 400 photos, including some from the CSO that have never been seen - until now.

Now for the shameless plug department.

The Las Vegas show will be the fifth regional that I have done the SONG (and wind) portion of "Arnold Jacobs Almost Live." SONG (and wind) is only one part of ten presentations. After an absence of a few years, Mr Jacobs is back doing masterclasses - last summer it was six presentations in Australia, for this summer it has been expanded and college credit is available (including continuing ed credit). From June 24-26 all ten shows will be done at the University of New Mexico this will be repeated at Western Illinois University from July 11-13. There is more information about this including videos and links to the universities at www.windsongpress.com.

I'm off to sin city, hope to see you there!
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf@windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Post by brianf »

Greetings from Sin City.

Looks like Deanna is going to hold quite the birthday party Saturday night - she even has a birthday cake for Arnold. Don't know how to tell him, maybe he reads Tubenet!
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf@windsongpress.com" target="_blank
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

brianf wrote:Greetings from Sin City.

Looks like Deanna is going to hold quite the birthday party Saturday night - she even has a birthday cake for Arnold. Don't know how to tell him, maybe he reads Tubenet!
I'd bet he knows ... 8)
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)