1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Re: New Mute for BAT?

Post by Chris Olka »

Remind me in a few days and I’ll do a video of the perfect mute hack for big tubas!
Been doing it for years and it works great for both the Dennis Wick and H&B large mutes.
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:When I was using both instruments, though, I bought a roll of composition cork and a roll of Velcro from McMaster/Carr.
I made the additional cork needed (for the slightly larger bell) removable with long Velcro strips well-glued to long cork strips.
I've been considering this. When the extra cork is removed does the Velcro make contact with the bell? Is that the loop side of the Velcro?
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Chris Olka »

My video on mute hacks will be live in about 2 hours. Internet in the country is a little slow for uploads....
I'll post it as a separate thread when it's live.
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Chris Olka »

Video is up:
Hope this is a help!
https://youtu.be/2Wk2k4aTjK0" target="_blank
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

meh...watched video, skipped to playing part, and didnt' really register as a muted brass sound.
Either a new product is needed, or 6/4 tubas don't really produce the right tones to begin with...mutes work by cancelling the low frequencies to thin the sound, not by adding anything.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

I have of the old Ron Apperson ‘J’ mutes that he made for Jacobs and his York. In fact, it was the last one Ron made. It looks like it is too small diameter wise to work in a 6/4, but it works like a charm. Don’t know what he did, but Ron hit the nail on the head with the J mute for 6/4s....
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

American Way Marketing in Elkhart, Indiana carries an aluminum 6/4 Mute that is quite good. The brand is Faxx and they are reasonably priced. If your local music store deals with American Way, they can order one for you. AWM can't sell direct. I'll try to load a photo of mine in the next day or so.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jess Haney »

Our brass band uses the humes and berg 206s i think for our willson 3100s they work great with no extra cork.
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.
MEWienand
bugler
bugler

Post by MEWienand »

Good morning
I play in Brass Band and have muted parts all the time. I use a mute by Ion Balu. He still sells them and they are 5/4 and 6/4 size. I used it in my 5/4 Willson Tuba. He has 3 different sizes to fit most tubas. He also has 2 different models for tuba. The corks are all velcro attached and have several locations to put the corks so no extra mess or fuss, just find the best place for your horn and set it up. http://www.balumusik.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Its worth the look. They play very well. and Look nice too. PS When using mine I keep a bari sax stand on hand to hold it as I have had some very fast changes to make in parts and it made it alot easier to pull it and just hang it then go to the floor with it.
Mark Wienand
Mark Wienand
Willson 2900s Euphonium
Yamaha 87D Horn
Desert Winds Freedom Band
LGBA Brass