This town loves Kenny G . . . Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

This town loves Kenny G . . .

Postby hup_d_dup » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:49 pm

. . . and they fabricate over 100,000 saxophones per year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/worl ... d=49411706

Hup
Facebook is your friend, your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Re: This town loves Kenny G . . .

Postby The Big Ben » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:13 pm

hup_d_dup wrote:. . . and they fabricate over 100,000 saxophones per year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/worl ... d=49411706" target="_blank

Hup

Interesting article. I had no idea China made as many saxophones as the article says they do.

I don't listen to Kenny G's music but I don't dislike it. I like a little more heat in my music. Or, as Ms. Tina Turner says: "We never, ever play nuthin' nice and easy. We always play it nice and rough."

He's the same age as I am and I know a couple of guys who graduated from HS with him. During HS and college, Kenny Gorlick was a sax man in the Seattle funk band, "Cold, Bold and Together". A club I was in hired them two or three times to play at our drunken brawls, ur, 'evening dances". They were good. One skinny little white guy in a band with 9 black guys. But, he was funky.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Three Valves » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:52 pm

Neat article.

How did the NYT manage not to mention you know what or you know who in an article about a Chinese village that loves the sax??

:tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 pm

two juxtaposed topics here...

Kenny G:
A large percentage of musicians seem to dislike hearing Kenny G on the radio, and denigrate him. Many claim that he always plays out of tune. I don't hear any worse out of tune than anyone else. What I do hear is soprano saxophone, which - generally, and regardless of the operator - tends to be annoying. Not-famous saxophonists (just as with not-famous composers who curse John Williams), I suspect, are mostly jealous of his fame.

saxophone manufacturing in China:
A good bit of it is - these days - remarkable. I know where to get some really nice-playing and quite well-built ones for excellent re-seller prices - which allow me to sell them to consumers for "casual" money, and the choices (as the article suggests) are mind-boggling. I also know where to get some that (though the way the bottom bow is built might make more high-end instrument manufacturers chuckle, I doubt that they would ever structurally fail, if treated with reasonable care) don't cost re-sellers any more than a typical redneck mom's trip to Walmart, and they (still: copies of Selmer, Paris style saxophones) play "just fine". What's lacking from China, currently, seems to be a "really easy to play in tune" (Yamaha equivalent) baritone saxophone. If some exist (at "Chinese" pricing), they are not common.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby swillafew » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 am

Pat Methany has famously ripped on Kenny. I also read Downbeat magazine years ago where Joe Pass ripped on Pat in the same way, for similar reasons.
MORE AIR
swillafew
4 valves
4 valves

Return to TubeNet