Severinsen at 90

The bulk of the musical talk
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Severinsen at 90

Post by bisontuba »

Doc is one of the all time greats. But he works his *** off. He is a practicing machine, and is always experimenting with different mthpces, equipment, etc.
A true legend.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Mark Finley wrote:
https://youtu.be/5rVswTDRYTw" target="_blank"
This was a benefit for a cancer patient. There are a few performances by other artists at this show. They are listed in the sidebar.

North Texas State College band backing him up. They look and sound good.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Doc is still amazing! The first trumpet in my quintet is a huge Doc Severinsen fan.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Doc was always a class act. In the mid-'70's, his traveling band was scheduled to do a show at the old Atlanta Civic Center. The weather was terrible; sleet, freezing weather, lousy road conditions. I and two college friends had tickets. Being young and stupid, we made the 70-mile trip anyway.

There were seven people in the audience. Seven. The three of us were almost half of the attendees. Doc and his band could have canceled and refunded our money, but they did a full length show for an almost non-existent audience, and even did two encores. THAT is the definition of total professionalism and true class.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Dan Oberloh tells a story of when Doc was in Seattle for some shows and needed to have some repairs done and order some other repairs. Doc arrives at Dan's old shop in Des Moines (south of Seattle) in a black town car and comes in with the horns to be worked on. Dan started on the one Doc needed right away and expected him to leave and get something to eat, whatever. Doc followed Dan to the back room, sat down on one of the spare stools and watched Dan work. They thoroughly discussed the design of a new kitchen Doc was having built in his house. Gotta get away from that music sometimes, ya know.
jacojdm
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacojdm »

The Big Ben wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:
https://youtu.be/5rVswTDRYTw" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank"
This was a benefit for a cancer patient. There are a few performances by other artists at this show. They are listed in the sidebar.

North Texas State College band backing him up. They look and sound good.
The "cancer patient" is Ryan Anthony of the Dallas Symphony, and, formerly, The Canadian Brass.

Ryan's Cancer Blows concerts, under the auspices of The Ryan Anthony Foundation, have raised significant sums to help fight multiple myeloma and other blood cancers. I attended the concert in 2016, when it was held here in Cleveland at Severance Hall, and it was a really fun, and worthwhile event with some great players.
http://www.cancerblows.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

I had the great fortune to spend some time with Doc in November. He performed with the Dayton Philharmonic, gave a masterclass at the University of Dayton, and then did an appearance at our store in suburban Columbus, Ohio. I found him to be very generous with this time and knowledge to players of all ages.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I wish he would write an autobiography....
dwerden
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwerden »

He IS amazing! Here is a recording from 1945, with the Ted Fio Rito band. Doc was 17 at the time and already starting to develop his sound. 72 years ago. That's a pretty darned long run of professional playing...so far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK1gvTN ... et="_blank
Dave Werden (ASCAP)
www.dwerden.com
Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
YouTube, Twitter, Facebook