23%
No.
21%
No.
17%

Total votes : 47

Yet Another Pointless Poll

Postby the elephant » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Not a fan. However, I *love* the PT-6, which has superior intonation and response to the piston version, IMHO. Also, I am not prone to "ME TOO" types of horn fads.

Cast your "no" vote loudly, proudly and often!

Ready? DISCUSS!

:tuba: :tuba: :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:

Wade "donning his asbestos underpants" Rackley
Last edited by the elephant on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Re: Yet Another Pointless Poll

Postby Mark Finley » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:31 pm

I was never a fan of the "big valve" tubas. Ever pt-6P I ever played had them
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:58 pm

The Wisemann knockoffs of this model are not commonly encountered.
My guess is that there are fewer than 200 of them in the USA.
Back-to-back, in my judgment, the Wisemann will usually beat out a PT-6P, whereas it is the "exceptional" PT-6P that is better than most Wisemann knock-offs. (admission: I've only played about six or eight of each of these, but - I'd wager - that is more of either than most have tested.)

This having been said,
- The Wisemann knock-off would possibly benefit from an 80:20 alloy mouthpipe tube, as I've seen more than one person on TubeNet seeking a replacement mouthpipe tube for one of these instruments.
- I've heard from reliable sources that Buffet purchased Wisemann, though I have not confirmed this independently.
- The Wisemann knock-off's offered intonation is quite manageable indeed, and I do not use the word "manageable" as a euphemism. When I use the word, I honestly mean "manageable".
- I've never been a Wisemann dealer, and never intend on seeking a Wisemann dealership.

non sequitur:
My "Imperial" cup, the smallest shank "Imperial" back-bore that fits without bottoming out, and either a deep "Profundo" rim (style of the player's choice) or cup extender ring is an extraordinarily fine choice for these instruments (PT-6, PT-6P, or Wisemann knock-off), and will immediately greatly improve the (often: "meh") low range focus and response.

I have played a few PT-6 (rotary) tubas, and would tend to agree with Wade, though I'm not convinced that they could be "the tuba for me". Piston valves are more "slippery" (legato-playing-wise), particularly when mounted on (most) large contrabass tubas. I like "slippery" vs. the (most of the time, though some tubas seem to be less this way with rotary valves mounted on them) "on/off" characteristic of rotary valves. I have played two or three of the (PT-6 replacement...??) MRP large rotary tubas. I didn't have a chance to play them for very long, but they didn't astonish me, though some players who I respect very much are very excited about those instruments. I'd be willing to revisit them.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby kmorgancraw » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:26 am

I love my Wisemann PT6P. :)
kmorgancraw
3 valves
3 valves

Return to TubeNet