The King-Besson has finally arrived! Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

The King-Besson has finally arrived!

Postby Art Hovey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:42 pm

I sold the King-Bess ( http://galvanizedjazz.com/tuba/4sale/TubasForSale.html ) to a gentleman in Tennessee and sent it off to him by Greyhound Package Express, but it never arrived. Please let me know if anyone has seen it. There is no other tuba like it.
Last edited by Art Hovey on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Re: The King-Besson has disappeared

Postby bort » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:04 pm

How long has it been in transit? GPX can take a very long time, depending on the route.

I truly hope it gets located soon. Also, whether it works out or not, this is exactly why I won't let my tubas ride the dog.
Something big, coming soon...!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:11 pm

I no longer trust GPX specifically for this reason. I got my horn, but it was lost for about a month. I have no idea where was stashed during this time. It may have been bounced around from bus to bus on a trip all over due to problems with the address and bar code. It may have simply been in storage at the wrong terminal waiting for me to pick it up. No idea. GPX had no idea, either. It simply "showed up" 33 days after it was promised with no warning. It is almost like that particular bus was used only for that route and the tuba never left it, simply going back and forth across the US from coast to coast until the driver noticed that it was supposed to get off in Jackson. Deplorable service with no apologies, no explanations, not even a lame excuse. Terrible.

I most certainly hope your baby turns up on your end or at the terminal it was supposed to end up at. I hope your buyer gets it in good shape and everyone is happy.

I am really sorry, too, Art. Every shipping method has become a crap shoot over the past decade. It is sad.

BUMP for a wayward tuba...
Click here for a look at the best 6/4 now on the market...
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:14 pm

It's out there in GPX analogspace somewhere.
Email the CEO.
You can find the muckety-mucks' email addresses on the web.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby the elephant » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:22 pm

Keep an eye out in the International Musician, too. GPX runs ads on occasion when a high ticket instrument loses its bar code and address label. They will run an ad asking you to present the proper receipt as well as photos or a serial number. I remember a Holton 345 that ended up in such an ad after GPX had it in a Lost Package Center after like six months of sitting unclaimed somewhere.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:29 pm

I've had a few packages with GPX be STUPID-crazy late, but (so far) never stolen...and never damaged.
Some of the folks who work at some stations - I'm thinking - possibly treat these packages as if...

bloke

Postby lost » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:36 pm

I had a sousaphone take a month to go west. Wait time and it will show up. Don't panic.
lost

Postby bloke » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Remember what Wade and I both say...
If it REALLY needs to get there BOTH fast AND undamaged,
this is the only way to ship it:
(Take it there yourself.)
bloke

Postby roweenie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:51 pm

I had a tuba bell travel around in the belly of a bus (God knows where) for over one month.

It was eventually "discovered" when the bus was in the shop for maintenance.

Thankfully, my phone number was on the box, and the maintenance shop called me up to notify me (fortunately it was only about 10 miles from my house).

If there's a phone number on the box, I'd bet you there will be a call made (eventually).

Driving is the best way, of course - I've driven 1,000 miles (each way) to pick up items [b]I[/b] would classify as "irreplaceable".
"Outlook not so good"
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby imperialbari » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:48 pm

For very good reasons I have no first hand experience with Greyhound parcel transportation, but I remember, when Schleppy bought his conglomerated BBb helicon from the late Harold Hartman, better known as HHH or Harvey’s Happy Horns.

I knew when it was shipped, and when Schleppy didn’t start bragging in due time, I contacted him. Greyhound had lost track of it, and for too long time the efforts of Schleppy and of Harold’s wife, who did the administration of the shop, brought no rewards.

Schleppy has an advantage over most people, when it comes to looking through high-set windows, so one day he went around the storage of his local Greyhound depot and looked through the windows. And saw the packed helicon, which had been there in due time, only the local clerks had been too lazy to register its arrival.

Klaus
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Postby WakinAZ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:16 am

Open a missing item case if the allotted time has passed. All the info is on their website. Also download one of their claim forms just in case. And just bug living crap out of everybody at both ends and in between. It will probably show up.
I am seriously considering getting a one of those cell phone luggage tags for the next thing that I ship with GPX.
Also they get really really slow around any holiday because of the higher passenger count, and it takes them weeks to recover. Also any national or Regional event (weather) will set them back days or weeks, just to give them an excuse to keep sucking.
When you just have about given up all hope, it'll just show up out of nowhere. These people are really good at what they do.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Postby MaryAnn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:22 am

Some kind of tracking device is a really great idea. You just hope the batteries last long enough....
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Postby TheGoyWonder » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Call the stations along route...and then the next one past! There is a map of the Greyhound routes if you google it.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Ken Crawford » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:56 am

Call Greyhound in Houston and ask for the GPX people that find everything. There are some seriously helpful people in that location that aren't reading a customer service script. They found a tuba I had shipped sitting in a pile of packages in a corner. There are two stations there, can't remember which it is. Maybe (713) 759-6550.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Art Hovey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:57 pm

It arrived today after 45 days on the dog bus!
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Re: The King-Besson has finally arrived!

Postby the elephant » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:00 pm

45 days, holy crap, that is inexcusable. Congrats on having it turn up, though.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Re: The King-Besson has finally arrived!

Postby scottw » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:01 pm

About the only positive in GHPE favor is that Thanksgiving-Christmas season is absolutely the worst time to ship anything. Volume is unmanageable, personnel are calling in "sick", most are exhausted and distracted. I'm glad it turned out okay, though.
Bearin' up!
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Return to TubeNet