Freak Jury Mouthpiece Blah-Blah Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Freak Jury Mouthpiece Blah-Blah

Postby the elephant » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:07 pm

I am interested in peoples' opinions on several mouthpieces that I may or may not purchase or that a student is interested in. Since I have so many up for discussion at one time I thin I will simply make a big, fat thread about them all.

I want only direct, firsthand experience, please. I really don't care what your section mate thought back before he was sent to prison, or what your Granny thought about how one or another of these affected the halo around your "WorldClassSound®".

I also don't care to hear about any other mouthpiece than the ones listed unless it is mentioned as a direct comparison to a *very* common mouthpiece. In other words, I would not mind hearing a comparison of one of these with a Bach 18, a Conn Helleberg 120S, or other similarly common mouthpiece. I don't give a rat's arse about comparisons with a Monette or some one-off made by your Uncle in 1966 when he was drunk after his Phi Mu Alpha initiation ceremony. (All hail, my brothers!) I don't want to hear about how one of the listed pieces is so similar (or dissimilar) to some mouthpiece made in 1909.

Keep it real by keeping it relevant. Thanks, that would be much appreciated, but I seriously doubt this will happen for more than one or two posts before we get off onto tangents fit for a king. (Here, King. Good, boy.)

I would like to know your opinions on the following:

• Lexan Kellyberg (I have one, but want to know what others think about it.)
• Stainless Kellyberg (Looking at one of these to play with.)
• Lexan KT-50 (Student wants one.)
• Stainless Kelly "XL" (Noticed it on the Kelly site and am curious: seriously - WTH?)
• Plated Brass Stofer Geib (Might get one, but not a lot of firsthand info about how they play in different tubas.)

Firsthand experience with any (or all) of the above-listed mouthpieces would be greatly appreciated.

And no, I have no plans on changing what I currently use in my tubas. I like my blokepieces quite a bit. I use a one-piece Solo on my Holton 345, a Symphony on my "product of Communism" 410, and a Orchestra Grand (with a Symphony shank) on the 2165, and a three-piece Solo on my Kurath F. I have no plans to alter these setups any time soon. I am just curious about these specific mouthpieces. I am not "in" to mouthpieces like some of you guys, so I do not have *any* experience with a lot of fairly common pieces.
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Re: Freak Jury Mouthpiece Blah-Blah

Postby jpwell » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:35 pm

I picked a Stofer Geib after trying a lot of schilke products and a heleberg 7b. good low range and doesn't suck the wind out of ya. I use it on a mira 191. short n sweet
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Postby groovlow » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:56 pm

• Lexan Kellyberg (I have one, but want to know what others think about it.)

Kellyberg, I keep one in my oil bag, useful MP, reduces the amount of available timbre on any horn.
groovlow
bugler
bugler

Postby michael_glenn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:00 pm

I do not own a Stofer Geib, but I have played on one a few times. It’s a good contrabass mouthpiece. I find that the Geib cups work especially well for rotary CC tubas. In my experience, I’ve had better luck with Helleberg style cups for piston CC tubas (Conn, PT-48, AT-3U, etc). My favorite Geib mouthpieces that I have played on are as follows: Denis Wick AT-4U (currently in use, VERY comfortable rim and sounds great), Stofer Geib (tried a few times, comfortable, good sounding), Laskey 30G (previously owned, great sound, very sharp rim that I don’t find comfortable).
Michael Ebie
B&S PT-6 CC
Miraphone Firebird F
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Postby fenne1ca » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Lexan Kellyberg - my go-to "good in a pinch" 'piece. It lives in my Army sousaphone case for cold weather, or backup when I forget to bring something else. Also tend to use it (or a metal Helleberg 120) to test drive horns, as this shape of mouthpiece usually proves tolerable, if not ideal, for me (even on a lot of bass tubas).
Last edited by fenne1ca on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Fenner
Tubist, U.S. Army
Cerveny Piggy CC
Keefer Eb
fenne1ca
bugler
bugler

Postby oedipoes » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:40 pm

The lexan Kellyberg works well on my 36K sousa, because it feels warm to my lips in all weather conditions. point.
I have mouthpieces that fit my sound on my tubas better, including the sousa, but in case of emergency, the Kellyberg would be acceptable on all of them.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Postby swillafew » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Lexan Kellyberg - my go-to "good in a pinch

+1 (x2, a clear and a yellow)
MORE AIR
swillafew
4 valves
4 valves

Postby ronr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:42 am

I used my lexan kellyberg full time until I discovered the Kelly lexan kt 50. That’s my full time piece now and the kellyberg is an excellent spare.
Tuba, Gemeinhardt, 2012
String Bass, Eminence, 2002
Tuba, Mirafone, 1970
Sousaphone, Reynolds, 1962
ronr
bugler
bugler

Postby eupher61 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:59 am

The Kellyberg rocked for me when I had the Martin. Better than the Schilke H 2.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bort » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 am

I used a Stofer Geib for a little while, but I didn't like the small bore of the mouthpiece. It played well and sounded nice, though. FWIW, at that time I also owned the original Conn Geib that Lee copied to make his copy. The Conn played and sounded even better, but felt even tighter (small bore).

I wanted to like both a lot more than I actually did. :(

I'm pretty sure that's on ME as a player, and not the mouthpiece!
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby djwpe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:22 am

I have a Stofer Geib which I think is the best sound-wise in my Holton 345 BBb. It's not the easiest to articulate, but two different trombone sections have chosen it in that horn hands down for sound.

Don
djwpe
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Most any of those with a 24AW-style rim and 24AW-style throat would likely be "The $h!t".

The fact that not of these combinations have been tried is a demonstration of a complete lack of intuition, industry-wide.

:|
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Wu299 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:21 pm

I have a red lexan Kellyberg and I love it. It seems to me that it is rather comfortable while allowing me to produce OK sound.

My current bandmates dont want me to play with a plastic mouthpiece (apparently THEY know best what tuba should sound like, and more importantly look like), though, so I dont use it as much anymore. Before, it was my main mouthpiece for a BBb tuba for a few years. Cant beat the feeling of playing with a mouthpiece that doesnt feel cold or hot no matter the weather. I never had any problem adjusting to playing non-metal mouthpiece, as opposed to playing metal mouthpieces with awkward shape.
Wu299
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Wu299 wrote:I have a red lexan Kellyberg and I love it. It seems to me that it is rather comfortable while allowing me to produce OK sound.

My current bandmates dont want me to play with a plastic mouthpiece (apparently THEY know best what tuba should sound like, and more importantly look like), though, so I dont use it as much anymore. Before, it was my main mouthpiece for a BBb tuba for a few years. Cant beat the feeling of playing with a mouthpiece that doesnt feel cold or hot no matter the weather. I never had any problem adjusting to playing non-metal mouthpiece, as opposed to playing metal mouthpieces with awkward shape.

I'd personally be interested to hear from someone who has tried BOTH the red AND the maroon.
Red does seem as though it would be the obvious choice, but how can anyone know - without having done a comparison?
Last edited by bloke on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:39 pm

bloke wrote:

I'd personally be interested to hear from someone who has tried BOTH the red AND the maroon.
Red does seem as though it would be the obvious choice, but how can anyone know - without having done a comparison?

The maroon is on sale for $17 + shipping.

If that doesn't make it sound better nothing will!! :tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 pm

<SIDEBAR>
These (lexan tuba mpcs.) could easily be mailed in bubble-wrap-lined envelopes for $3.00 (1st Class Postage).
They don't - in my view - cost enough for insurance to be called for. :|
Even several of them, likely, could still be easily mailed (based on size/weight) for $3.00
Yet, it seems, they are "shipped" via UPS.
</SIDEBAR>

Please return to your ̶t̶r̶o̶ topic.
bloke

Kelly

Postby tokuno » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:08 pm

I have/play both the lexan and stainless Kellyberg. Seem about the same to me (other than the obvious weight & rim feel differences)
tokuno
bugler
bugler

Postby Donn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 pm

My Kellyberg is "crystal" blue, and I think that's an important distinction - who knows, how the opaque Lexan is affected by the extra adulterants.

Anyway, hard to tell the difference, between the Kellyberg and the excellent Faxx fhb. The Kellyberg's rim isn't as sharp edged, and the interior profile of mine is more funnel shaped, I think enough to account for a slight but not reliably perceptible difference in tone.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby tubajazzo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:40 pm

hey, I also own a crystal blue kellyberg. Crystal blue is the best. For me there was a difference with the stainless, but I did not make scientific comparisons. Found the stainless to be brighter and with "less bottom", but that may be just me....
tubajazzo
bugler
bugler

Postby Donn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Yeah, the crystal blue has some real low end presence.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Next

Return to TubeNet