Freak Jury Mouthpiece Blah-Blah

The bulk of the musical talk
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Freak Jury Mouthpiece Blah-Blah

Post by Bandmaster »

I have been using the Stofer Geib with my Holton 345 for a couple years now and I love it. It gives me the upper overtones I was missing on the other mouthpieces I tried. I just wish they made it in stainless steel.
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

the elephant wrote: • Lexan Kellyberg (I have one, but want to know what others think about it.)
• Stainless Kellyberg (Looking at one of these to play with.)
• Lexan KT-50 (Student wants one.)
Regular Kellyberg: Became my go-to cold weather mouthpiece, used it for the wreath ceremony at the Iwo Jima memorial and for other outdoor gigs. I keep one in the car to buzz along with the radio. Nothing wrong with it, a little grippier than gold plate, steel, or titanium.

Stainless Kellyberg: Have NOT used any other stainless mouthpieces except for a couple G&W. Really like the material, though, since it's easier to keep clean than regular brass. Steel and titanium mouthpiece throats get squeaky-clean with just one or two passes of a twisted-up paper towel.

KT-50: I was the guy who convinced Kelly to begin making these (waaaay back in the early 2000's; even started a thread on Tubenet to gauge interest, then sent him a link). Sent him my PT-50, they measured it, and they sent me back my PT-50, a clear Lexan KT-50, and a solid chocolate Kellyberg. Plays just like my PT-50 but with a little more grip on the skin. I'd have also used this one for outdoor gigs if I had it in a different color.

[edit -- adding link to old KT50 thread]
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2437" target="_blank
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

Here's my 2 cents. I have the lexan Kellyberg, stainless Kellyberg and Lexan KT50.

I play jazz(mainly 2 beat trad and New Orleans second line) on my tubas, no orchestral opinions here.

Lexan Kellyberg: Good mouthpiece, amazing for the price. Maybe a bit too smooth/ warm or bland sounding, like the mids have been scooped a bit. I find it can get lost in a band situation if you want some front on your walking. Harder to push the time with this one. Good for the car.

Stainless Kellyberg: even smoother, hard to hear myself when playing with a raucous band or amplified. Can put out lots of sound but I have trouble hearing the note. Very even throughout the range and fun to play. Extremely warm yet hollow sounding on my Melton 3450 CC, not as great on the Melton 2011TA BBb ( I use a gold glitter Kelly 18 on the 2011).

KT50: Sounds gruff on my 3450, like a grumpy old lumberjack who smokes cigars. Takes as much air as a 24AW. Big down low, a nice edge when you need it. Sounds great on walking lines. Feels like a 'grownup' mouthpiece- there's nothing it can't do, it's up to the player. I'm not a fan of the clear lexan though.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

pecktime wrote: I'm not a fan of the clear lexan though.
That needs to be fixed!!

Outside of a classroom or lab, nobody wants to see what your lips are doing... :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

One of our esteemed forum members decorates Lexan mouthpieces, for his own amusement. I don't recall how, but I'm sure there are many creative options. Even some simple light engraving would serve the side purpose of obscuring the contents, I expect. Or sandblasting.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I was thinking;

Rattle can!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.