Old Miraphone 186 Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Old Miraphone 186

Postby iiipopes » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:02 am

bloke wrote:I believe I can guess what occurred:

1. The original recording bell was not wanted.
2. The wish for an upright bell was made known to a shop.
3. The shop ordered a new 17-3/4" bell, removed the collar from the original recording bell, installed it on the new bell, cut the new bell, and polished and lacquered the new bell.

bloke "minimally invasive"

That is EXACTLY the case with my 186. Vince took the collar off the recording bell and put it on a chopped St Pete bell. The problem was the bell was too short, and required the main tuning slide to be lengthened. That caused the happy accident of almost completely "fixing" the typical "flat-fifth-partials." So when I put my upright Besson bell on it, I had my tech trim it to the same length to keep the longer main tuning slide. See my thread you can search for "Bessophone."
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby tubacharlie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Just an update on the 186.
I just started playing it and so far so good. It's a very nice tuba, very well balanced and in very good shape. It's the first tuba I have played with rotors not piston valves and that is going to take a little to get use to. Also having the lead pipe on the other side of the bell makes viewing the music a little different. I can feel the higher quality of the 186 over my Yamaha 321. Since I have never had a tuba with rotors before any advise on care and maintenance would be good. They seem to be a lot more mechanical and fragile then pistons so any advise on how not to damage them would be great. I always wanted a Miraphone since I played my buddies 191 and I think this might be the one. So far I cant hear much difference in sound between the 321 and 186 except the low end of the 186 is excellent. The 186 seems to tune better also.
If all goes well and I can justify spending the money on the 186 I think I will be a Miraphone man.
Tuba Charlie :tuba:
tubacharlie
bugler
bugler

Postby Mike C855B » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:54 pm

the elephant wrote:
Dan Schultz wrote:I think the rationale of the detachable recording bell was in order to provide cases for recording bell horns.

I have surmised this, too. It is the same reason that sousaphone bells are detachable. I don't believe for a minute that it was to adjust the angle of the bell for the player; it was strictly for the sake of getting the thing into a case. When you can lay the circular body over the bell then the one case works well enough, but with a concert tuba body you must have a separate case. ...

Forum noob late to the party, but can confirm. I played a 186-4R in the '70s. It was bought by the school with just the recording bell and no straight, I s'pose to "match" the three Besson recording basses they already had. Rotating the bell in the mount accomplished little, although if the orchestra setup was different than normal, the ability to move it for better sight line on the conductor was appreciated.

The bell case was a pain, even more so after somebody came along while I was putting my stuff away, sat on the case like it was a chair... but I wasn't done yet, the bell was cockeyed in the case. Big crease, thankyouverymuch. :x

I really liked that horn, great range and tone and oh, the volume you could put through it - it could peel paint off the auditorium ceiling. :twisted:
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Postby ronr » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:50 pm

I play one of these from 1970 (serial number 6000. How cool is that!) Great horn in great shape. I have both bells but never use the recording bell. Well, at least not for its’ intended purpose.
Nobody really cares, right?
ronr
bugler
bugler

Postby Peach » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:14 am

ronr wrote: I have both bells but never use the recording bell. Well, at least not for its’ intended purpose.

I feel like this point needs expanding! :D
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Postby iiipopes » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Peach wrote:
ronr wrote: I have both bells but never use the recording bell. Well, at least not for its’ intended purpose.

You have already expanded it...in a manner of speaking. :shock:
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby The Big Ben » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:11 pm

If those pictures are of the horn, it looks darn good. I had a BBb186 with detachable bell for a little while. I did not have the recording bell but it was a straight bell with Mirafone Kranz so I'm pretty sure it was factory. I had factory cases (I think) the case for the upright bell looked like a hat box. It's been a few years but I think the SN# was from the early 60s. Appearance wise, it was kind of a roach and I had the valves/s-links rebuilt and they were quiet and worked great. Nothin' wrong with S-Links if they are in good shape or were refit by someone who knew what was up. I had a new mouthpipe installed. It had one of those knife-edge keels which was *not* comfortable to play. Someone offered me enough to cover all my costs plus a little bit so I sold it.

The only things wrong with it were the appearance (ugly) and the keel. It would have been too expensive to have the appearance fixed but I could have had the keel removed. Otherwise, the valves were great and it played great. I think I had too much money in it and I knew I didn't want to keep it forever. When I received the offer, I let it go.

You may have a use for the recording bell, you may not. They are useful when playing outside. Someone may beg you to buy it and you could sell it if you wanted to. Or not.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby ronr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:55 am

Peach wrote:

Let’s just say I might use it to improve my aim...wastebasket; what’s wrong with you guys!
Nobody really cares, right?
ronr
bugler
bugler

Postby Peach » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:11 pm

ronr wrote:
Peach wrote:

Let’s just say I might use it to improve my aim...wastebasket; what’s wrong with you guys!

Fine choice for a bell!
I did the same with a 6/4 Holton bell-front :D
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Previous

Return to TubeNet