Any opinions on the New Wessex 6/4 BBb or Helicon? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Any opinions on the New Wessex 6/4 BBb or Helicon?

Postby Doc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:16 am

Frank Ortega wrote:Hello Tubenetters,

I just noticed the New Wessex 6/4 BBb and BBb Helicon on their website.
Has anyone tried either of these and formed an opinion?

Very curious!

Thanks,
Frank

Frank,

I tried the 6/4 BBb and both 6/4 CC tubas on Saturday, but not the helicon. I'm like Karl Hovey - Iiked the 20" CC more than the 18" CC, but the tuba that really impressed me was the Grand BBb. Big, broad sound and tons of presence. Responsive, agile, and even in all registers.Nice low range - not a complete frre blow like a Miraphone 1291/191, but great for a BAT. If I was going to purchase a big piston BBb (or CC), this thing is he bomb, especially for the money.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Mark Finley » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

I have played it twice. The tone is glorious, the feel is very good, if I had to say something slightly negative about it is the f at the bottom of the staff is slightly flat, but that may be something that could be dealt with in time. It's a common problem on large horns so if it was in tune it would practically be a miracle. I do think and I pointed this out to Jonathan, that the whole horn play they touch sharp and needs a longer main tuning slide, he said he would address it
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Doc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Mark Finley wrote:I have played it twice. The tone is glorious, the feel is very good, if I had to say something slightly negative about it is the f at the bottom of the staff is slightly flat, but that may be something that could be dealt with in time. It's a common problem on large horns so if it was in tune it would practically be a miracle. I do think and I pointed this out to Jonathan, that the whole horn play they touch sharp and needs a longer main tuning slide, he said he would address it
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Doc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Mark Finley wrote:I have played it twice. The tone is glorious, the feel is very good, if I had to say something slightly negative about it is the f at the bottom of the staff is slightly flat, but that may be something that could be dealt with in time. It's a common problem on large horns so if it was in tune it would practically be a miracle. I do think and I pointed this out to Jonathan, that the whole horn play they touch sharp and needs a longer main tuning slide, he said he would address it

Mark,

I always need them to be shorter. I guess it's because of my big mouth. LOL Since they are going to need to fix this on the new ones, just have Jonathan send that flawed Grand BBb to me instead of junking it or retiring it. I will make good use of it and, of course, promote the brand. ;-)
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Art Hovey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:26 am

I played on the BBb helicon last week at the Army Tuba Conference and liked it. I also brought in my own Buescher (with the Bohm & Meinl valve section which has been my favorite tuba and main money-making horn for 50 years) for comparison. I am still happy with it, but would be equally happy with the Wessex. The removable bell is an especially nice feature.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Postby ken k » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 pm

The BBb helicon played very nice. But it was VERY heavy. Much heavier than my Pan American.

kk
Miraphone Norwegian Star Eb tuba
B&H Imperial Eb tuba
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
1990 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
2001 Mazda Miata
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Previous

Return to TubeNet