Difficulty of adding tuning kicker

The bulk of the musical talk
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Difficulty of adding tuning kicker

Post by DouglasJB »

I recently received my (New to me) Wessex Berg, I am unable with this layout to reach the 1st slide to adjust it, how difficult is it to add a tuning slide kicker for left hand? (Looking for info from anyone who has experience adding these)
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Difficulty of adding tuning kicker

Post by PaulMaybery »

Hmm. I also have a Berg and was just commenting the other day how easy that 1st slide is to reach. (Either with the left hand over the top branch or under it, and with the thumb braced on the lead pipe.) I do use a chair rest or a tuba stand to position the horn when playing, so the left hand is free. I hate wrestling with a tuba. The 1st slide is lapped as smooth as silk. I know, and am sorry this does not answer your question on tuning slide kickers. I do concede that moving the 1st slide is valuable for a few pitches. I like top space 'g' all the way in and then out about a 1/4 to 1/2 for most other pitches.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
fourbass
bugler
bugler

Post by fourbass »

I just looked at a picture of the Berg and I see what you are saying. The 1st slide on my Piggy CC was basically un-accessible. Fortunately, I had a great repair person. I had them attach a a saddle from a trumpet 1st slide in such a way that I could operate the saddle with just one finger under the top bow. It works great!

Good luck
https://sites.google.com/site/beckertuba/home-1
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Cerveny "Piggy" CC
B&S Symphonie Model F
Bundy tenor trombone
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

How do you think a T bar would work on it, to raise up the level closer to the top?
Tubas