Considering BBb again Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: Considering BBb again

Postby bububassboner » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:03 am

This may be a long post that touches on a few subjects, yet this may help the OP in his choice.

So I play all four keys of tuba regularly and understand the struggle of picking between BBb and CC. Though people say BBb and CC are similar I would argue that they aren't and have very different uses. Figuring out your uses and needs is the important part.

STRONG OPINION WARNING! I personally view BBb and F tuba as specialty tubas while I view CC and Eb tubas as multi purpose tubas. In regards to this thread, a BBb tuba of the same size as a CC tuba will always have a better low end and a denser, heavier sound. Now, to add to this I only use 6/4 BBb tubas. When it comes to large heavy band or orchestra pieces a 6/4 BBb has always out performed the 6/4 CC. I played a 6/4 CC daily for almost a decade and as soon as I finished building my York 6/4 BBb I immediately switched for the large work. It just made getting that super dense sound easier, plus the low end was just less work, and I'm all about making tuba playing easy.

Now if I'm not wanting that heavy thick sound I immediately switch to CC. The Cc tuba is just more agile and has more of that upper overtone to the sound. This is why I don't play smaller BBb tubas. CC is more nimble, so why would I work harder playing something like brass quintet on a BBb? The different keys of tubas have different strengths and weaknesses. In a perfect world we would have a few in all the keys and play what makes the music easier to sound good on.

So for the OP, I wouldn't recommend only owning a BBb tuba UNLESS you ONLY play large orchestra/band music and I'd recommend a pretty large BBb tuba. If you play more small group music you'll miss the agility of the CC pretty quickly.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk more in depth about this.
Big tubas
Little tubas
Army Strong
Go Ducks!
bububassboner
pro musician
pro musician

Postby kontrabasstuba » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:39 am

Hello together,
I agree with Chuck.
Every music has its own style, character and temper. Why not swith to all keyes. I also play all types of tubas. I don't think about the fingerings in F, Eb, Cc or Bb. I choose often .
In germany are the Eb and Cc it so popular.
But both tubas has the own character... I like it a lot...

The others discuss a lot of GR51 or GR55.
I do not know if everyone knows that the GR51 is based on a Bohland and Fuchs 4/4 Tuba.
Walter Hilgers want to made a copy of this amazing beauty. But B&S made it not in the long version. The result is the GR51.
I play one of the original 6/4 B&F.
This sound is amazing...
Last edited by kontrabasstuba on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kontrabasstuba
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:51 am

kontrabasstuba wrote:The others discuss a lot of GR51 or GR55.
I do not know if everyone knows that the GR51 is based on a Bohland and Fuchs 6/4 Tuba.

Interesting, and not what I have heard...

My understanding, from a very trusted source, is that the GR-51 was based on the York tuba design, but in a rotary version (GR = Grand Rapids).

The Meinl-Weston 197 was the reincarnation of the B&F Kaiser tuba... right?
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby kontrabasstuba » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 am

That is what i not hear before....
my information is also from a trusted source.

Yes. The Bohland and Fuchs are the big mystery of the Kaisers... :tuba:
kontrabasstuba
bugler
bugler

Previous

Return to TubeNet