Alexander?

The bulk of the musical talk
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Alexander?

Post by Sousaswag »

I may be in a position to be able to visit Germany, and will be staying a 20 minute ride away from Mainz, where Alexander is located. Has anybody visited the factory before? Do they allow visitors and the testing of their tubas?
This is not set in stone, but it is a great opportunity in my reach. I've never read of anybody visiting the factory, which is why I am asking (as this is largely the reason I want to go :oops:)
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Alexander?

Post by Dan Schultz »

They have a good Facebook presence. Try contacting them there.

https://www.facebook.com/musikalexander" target="_blank
https://www.facebook.com/gebralexander" target="_blank
https://www.facebook.com/pianoalexander" target="_blank
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
bububassboner
pro musician
pro musician

Post by bububassboner »

I lived pretty close to there while I was stationed in Germany. I went there often. They always had at least 2 tubas in stock and have had up to 8 sitting there at any given time. Very friendly people. Send them an email ahead of time to make sure they are open that day.
Big tubas
Little tubas
Army Strong
Go Ducks!
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Can confirm info of Bubassboner: I visited them rather recently. Made appointment by phone. Had the opportunity to play 4 different tubas for an hour in a rather big room. Appointment is necessary, while they schedule test playing at busy days.
Hubert
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Thanks for the info, guys. Hopefully everything works out and I get to go!
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

If you are not in a hurry you can e-mail Reimund Pankratz at R.Pankratz@musik-alexander.de" target="_blank" target="_blank
They are very busy so it will take a while before you get an answer.

Bloke is 100% in his assesment. I was there in december. They really take the time for you but you need to make an appointment 'cause that's the way they want to do it.

When I was there they had two 163's in BBb and one in CC, one BBb 164 (which was indeed just finished for a customer) and several F's with various 5 valve tunings. Also an F/CC double.
Ask what they have available to avoid disappointments.

I also got a tour of the factory. Really nice.

The quality is amazing and they make beautiful top playing instruments. Very responsive horns and very light.
Both BBb 163's had brilliant intonation with the exception of the saggy 5th partial D & Db, which made playing these notes 0 & 2 (respectfully) a real challenge. If you are happy playing these two notes 12 & 23 then you could be very happy for the rest of your life, because these instruments play! And the upper register on these 163's are almost like playing an F. Effortless.

I also own a 163 so getting into how one plays was quite easy for me.

The 164 also played amazingly easy. I was less impressed with the consistency between the partials. I seem to remember the 3rd p. F being 10-20 cents off from the 4th p. BBb.

Having said this I would like to add #1, this was only one example (of a hand made tuba) and #2, I do not view myself as being very talented in playing a tuba "the way it wants to be played" on short notice.

Lastly it was my impression that the valves anno 2018 could have been quicker. I remember playing a Miraphone 91B a while back that knocked my socks off. Talk about nimble! On the other hand because the Alex is so brainlessly easy to blow they also play nimble. A showroom tuba also tends to get neglected, so maybe my interpretation is skewed.

Speaking of the F's (which was not what I came for) they all played as Alex F's do. High quality, lovely sound, dodgy 2nd partial C & B etc. I told the tuba guy their to check out their old Bohemian F they have decorating the stairwell. Maybe it was the echo, but it sure seemed to me that the low C played A LOT more stable then what they produce now.

Their address is; Robert-Koch-Straße 10 ∙ 55129 Mainz Hechtsheim, (open M-Fr 9.00 - 18.00 hrs)