Contrabass or Bass tuba in Brass Quintet?

The bulk of the musical talk
caseys186
bugler
bugler

Contrabass or Bass tuba in Brass Quintet?

Post by caseys186 »

Hello all,
I am posting this question to hear everyone’s thoughts, experiences and opinions on what tuba (not necessarily the exact brand or model)works best for Brass quintet.

I have played a 186CC for many years, and I am considering a Bass Tuba. I have colleagues who have played similar sized/pitched instruments, and it comes up that CC tubas (even smaller ones) can overwhelm a group. “Play softer!” Is the knee jerk reaction many of my friends and colleagues have said, but it’s not that simple, especially when the parts are going above top line Bb frequently. One friend of mine was playing a 186 (older 16.5 bell) in his quintet, and the group (a very fine group) kept telling him he was too loud, so he switched to a 184CC (This is also a possibility for me as well).
Recently, improvements in both Eb and F tubas have made these instruments much better choices. There are some Eb tubas out there now that are being touted as the “do it all” tuba, which as we all know has been said about the 186 for years.

I recenty heard a very fine Brass Quintet, and I was impressed with the Tubist’s sound and blend. He was playing an Eb. I don’t mean to take away from his artistry or ability, but he had a very even sound and blend throughout the range, and the tuba sounded like a fifth part in a chamber ensemble. He could also put the bottom on the group when it called for it.
So all that said,
What do you all think? I know in the end it is a matter of personal preference, but I welcome your opinions, experiences and advice.
Thanks in advance.
Kurt
Kurt Zeigler

Retired, United States Navy Music Program (Tubist 1995-2015)

Mirafone 186 -5u CC
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Re: Contrabass or Bass tuba in Brass Quintet?

Post by bone-a-phone »

Well, I'm a trombone player who was recently looking for a tuba myself, but that's a different issue. I play in a quintet with a tubist who plays an Eb (MW2141), and we have no complaints. It sounds completely appropriate. Of course that's more the player than the ax, but we have no problems with his sound or volume. He's in tune, can play under or over the rest of us as required. The instrument seems portable, as tubas go.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Chuck has played a small CC I believe his entire career with Canadian Brass.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

I carry both ...
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

An F tuba gives you a favorable situation when the parts are intended for bass trombones. As for dynamics, the horn doesn't do those, I do.
MORE AIR
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

If I had to choose only one tuba for brass quintet I would choose my 3+1 Compensating Eb. However, like what others have said, I like to use different instruments for certain applications. I have used Eb tuba BBb tuba and double rotor bass trombone for brass quintet gigs and recitals. Thinking out loud, these things come to mind when I am trying to decide what instrument to use:
1) What was the composer writing for or what timbre did he or she have in mind?
2) What color or type of sound makes the makes the piece of music sound the best while also making my colleagues sound their best?
3) What Instrument affords me the opportunity to exhibit a high level of artistry?
4) What instrument takes the least amount of effort to deliver a successful performance?

From my experience though, someone in the group will be a resident expert on all things related to brass quintet playing and they will make a decision for you. No worries :shock: :D Just kidding :tuba:
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Post by basslizard »

"From my experience though, someone in the group will be a resident expert on all things related to brass quintet playing and they will make a decision for you. No worries :shock: :D Just kidding "

Ha! My group is so busy trying to be nice and accommodating to everyone that we could use an 'expert' to corral us.

My sextet got new music and I finally ran into quintet music that I couldn't play on my 3-valve Bb. That E-flat two octaves below the staff - I've already got all three valves down, that's just it, I can't get any lower. I think I'd need a fourth valve. Same piece also expects an E-flat above the bar a couple measures before that.

For some pieces, I will break out the bass trombone, but that's when the music is just too high for me to comfortably play on my tuba. Thank goodness we don't have to worry about professional judgement; Most of our audience is fairly deaf. We play for senior citizens for the most part. (nursing homes, assisted living, the senior center).
Old Ugly - a Jupiter JCP -384 tuba
1916 Buescher Eb
Elkhart Conn 62H Bass Trombone
American Standard 1929 Bb Baritone
Beaufort 1920's Euphonium
1960's Bundy oboe - family heirloom, has been played by three generations
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

As other have said, it depends on the group, what you are playing and where you are playing. I play a bass tuba, usually a larger one. I find that works best in most situations.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Personal preference. For me, large Eb in quintet. Once or twice I used my large CC :idea:
highsierra
bugler
bugler

Post by highsierra »

I personally like to use the Eb in a quintet setting...a smaller C tuba is also a great choice depending on the literature.... here is a track from our CD where I am using the Miraphone 283b Eb bass tuba....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcEzLr7v7t0
Russ Dickman
Rudolf Meinl RM50 CC
Rudolf Meinl 4345 Rotary CC
Miraphone 283 "Norwegian Star"
http://www.renophil.com
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

I have a theory. If the other members think your big horn overpowers them, what size room are you rehearsing in? Lower frequencies are susceptible to effects of boundary reinforcement, so a big horn in a little room might actually overpower, but the minute you get on stage they ngs are back to normal.
LowBrassNYC
bugler
bugler

Post by LowBrassNYC »

Bass trombone :-)
Ryan Fisk
———
Meinl Weston 2250TL, 6460, 6450/2
caseys186
bugler
bugler

Post by caseys186 »

We rehearse in a high ceiling, large area high school band room.
Dynamics aren't out of control, but my concern is when the parts go higher, and I think if I had a smaller horn it would be more suitable for chamber style music.
Kurt Zeigler

Retired, United States Navy Music Program (Tubist 1995-2015)

Mirafone 186 -5u CC
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

When I was starting out on tuba -- which was while I was playing baritone and trombone in high school -- my playing was done in a church quintet where we often accompanied a pipe organ. I felt that an Eb I test-played sounded too small, so I stuck with contrabass tuba.

If I had to pick just one, I'd pick a fatter-sounding bass tuba. Good clarity for all the moving parts a quintet tuba usually gets, but not so thin-sounding that it doesn't support the other four players enough.
TubaDrummer
lurker
lurker

Post by TubaDrummer »

I've always felt like my 186 was a great fit for quintet but if you want something smaller and stay in CC then I think you're on the right track with the 184 listen to the old Los Angeles brass quintet you know who's playing that 184 like nobody else has. To me the 184 blends perfect with the trombone especially. If you need to play in a high range a lot then i would think you would naturally want bass tuba sitting near by.
Mirafone 186-5U CC (1979) - Schilke Bobo Gold Mouthpiece
Yamaha Drums - Sabian Cymbals