F Tuba as a Secondary Choice for Band

The bulk of the musical talk
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

F Tuba as a Secondary Choice for Band

Post by Mark Horne »

Over the past several years I have managed to own a half a dozen or so F tubas - primarily the result of finding good deals, and reselling later on. However, until recently I have not had the time to learn to read regular bass clef music on the F tuba, so my playing was limited to practice at home for fun. I dedicated some time over the holidays to learning the proper fingerings and have gotten to the point that I am considering bringing an F tuba to a rehearsal or two this season.

Nearly all my playing is in a band setting so I need the ability to generate good volume with a reasonable amount of depth (not too much of the lighter “solo” sound). I suppose I’ve probably tested a total of 20-something F tubas over the years and I have found that for me about two-thirds of them present some sort of response issues around the low C (a well-known characteristic of many F tubas). I have found that those models having an easy low C (usually piston, but not always), also tend to have a sound more similar to a CC tuba – which is not necessarily bad, but I believe that part of the benefit of bringing an F tuba is the ability to provide a different color for the section.

Which brings me to my question. My B&S Symphonie does not have an easy low range but with continued practice, my range around low C has been improving. However, I don’t know that it will ever be as solid as it would if I were to use one of the “easy” low range horns. I also worry that I would have to practice more frequently to prevent that range from getting weak again (not unlike how trumpet players talk about needing maintain their piccolo trumpet chops on a regular basis). For those of you that play an F tuba in band (or in a larger orchestra context), do you opt for the “easier” instrument and focus more on just playing, or do you put in the extra time to master the less-easy instrument because it offers the sound you prefer? Of course, if you find an F tuba that accomplishes both, I would be curious to know what model that is.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Re: F Tuba as a Secondary Choice for Band

Post by Lee Stofer »

When stationed in Germany, my Band's German-American Partnership Unit was the German Air Force Band stationed in Karlsruhe. During joint rehearsals and concerts, I noted that they used two BBb tubas and two F-tubas. That arrangement worked out well-enough, and if you have enough contrabass tubas in your band, the F-tuba can offer color and focus to the section. I have used F-tuba in band, and it was successful if there were sufficient contrabass tubas to provide most of the depth and volume.

As for instrument choice, I tend to just work with whatever is available. To do a lot of band playing, the large F-tubas made by Willson, Meinl-Weston and Rudolf Meinl would most likely provide the largest and darkest sound.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I used an F tuba one summer in a concert band, because 1) there were 8 tubas; 2) I wanted an intensive "boot camp" for F tuba; and 3) I wanted to be lazy and not carry a heavy tuba through the NYC subway in the summer.

I was using a small Cerveny F tuba, and I wish I would have had something larger and easier to play. I loved the sound of the Cerveny, and it actually put out a lot of sound for being about the size of a Yamaha 621. This experience did make me a better F tuba player, and it gave my fingers a real workout in some of those band-flat keys. But I won't say that it was very fun, especially not for the concert where I was the only tuba player (out of 8) that showed up.

I'd imagine that something like the big Willson F tubas would work pretty well in band. It's been a long time since I've played one, but I remember liking it a lot. For that matter, it seems like a lot of large piston F tubas do NOT have the low C issue, but sacrifice a bit of the interesting character of the F tuba sound to my ears.

I have also heard that the Brandstrotter (sp?) model of the MW F tuba has a very easy low register. Harder to play up high, but it's designed more as an ensemble tuba (don't quote me on this!)

Not sure any of this is helpful...?
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

I would suggest that minimally, there should be 1 strong Contrabass player in the band, if you want to play F tuba.
F tuba in a concert band is kind of a luxury item...
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguyry »

The BMB F with the 18" bell gives you the best of both worlds. Ridiculously easy and full low range, and it sounds just as big as any 4/4 CC I've ever heard. No one will mistake it for a big 5/4 or 6/4 CC, but it's DEFINITELY a big enough sound for most bands.
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

Big Mouth Brass J-445LQ F
JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb
1964 Olds O-97 BBb sousaphone

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Post by Mark Horne »

Bort - funny that you and Lee both mention the Willson as a good tuba for a band application - it was one of the instruments I owned a few years back. At the time I had a difficult time with the large pistons (I was not yet aware that you could swap out the springs with lighter Yamaha euphonium springs). I also didn't realize at the time that the "sounds a lot like and Eb" turns out to be a great color in a band application. In retrospect I probably should have kept that one.

Bloke - I imagine our B&S Symphonie horns are of similar vintage, and until I got mine recently cleaned and adjusted, I didn't fully appreciate its potential. Sure it would be easier if the low C slotted more like a Miraphone Firebird, but the Symphonie strikes me as being capable of a much bigger and darker sound. I've sometimes wondered what would happen if I tried to go with F tuba exclusively for a while, but my current role is more realistically accomplished with a contrabass instrument.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

The two hours of concert band music I sight read last night was riddled with tones below low-C (C below the bass clef staff.) In about 3/4 of those cases, if the low notes were not strong, it would have been detrimental to the sound of the band. I use a 3/4 BBb horn. Wish I had a 4/4 BBb horn but I don't. I usually have two tubas with me but the others were gone last night. It is a 75 piece band.

The tuba used should be able to play the intended music in the way that it was written.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

As a band director, NO! I want large BBb or CC tubas in my band. I want as big and bassy sound as possible. In a band, the tubas replace the orchestral bass section. Would you have a cello play the bass part in an orchestra? So it is with a bass tuba in a band.

2¢ given ....
caseys186
bugler
bugler

Post by caseys186 »

In most professional level Brass Bands around the world, there are two Eb Tubas (Basses) and two BBb Tubas. There is something to be said for the overtone series in a band having the Eb/Bb relationship, going down from the top, alternating back and forth.
As Lee mentioned, lots of European military bands have at least one bass tuba and one or more contrabass tubas (I heard a band from Norway with 1 Eb and 3 BBbs) It is definitely a fuller sound, much like the sound a brass band gets.
It is definitely worth experimenting with and trying out. Playing in octaves in a section can also add a great deal of warmth and bottom to a band.
Kurt Zeigler

Retired, United States Navy Music Program (Tubist 1995-2015)

Mirafone 186 -5u CC