Getting Sousaphone valve section replated

The bulk of the musical talk
MrBasseyPants
bugler
bugler

Getting Sousaphone valve section replated

Post by MrBasseyPants »

I have a sousaphone valve section (already removed from the body) that I want to get a valve job on and replated from lacquer / raw brass to silver. I understand there is prep work involved...and ASP clearly on their website says they can do it. So I send an inquiry....and they respond that the instrument is too big for them to do.

Does this make sense? Yeah...this is a large valve section...but smaller than a baritone.

Is my easiest route to just have a tech disassemble the valve section...and then have ASP just replate and valve job? ...or should I push ASP to see if they can do it.

I am disappointed with heir response since it seems they were eager to do this kind of work on their website.

jc
MrBasseyPants - jc
My three Kings: 2007 King 2341 | 1935 King Giant 1271 | 1925 King 1265 Jumbo (now with four valves)
...and a 1920s Columbia Tenor Sousaphone

WARNING: This tuba player has been known to get his groove on via bass guitar as well!
MrBasseyPants
bugler
bugler

Re: Getting Sousaphone valve section replated

Post by MrBasseyPants »

Yup... I even sent them a pic of the front and back of the cluster after it was removed.

I will admit a King 4v Jumbo Sousaphone valve section is hardly small....but it should be more than manageable.

I am probably going to have Dan Schultz do it since I’ve had him do work before.

I was kind of hoping for one stop shopping, but going with a trusted tech isn’t really a bad alternative :)

jc
MrBasseyPants - jc
My three Kings: 2007 King 2341 | 1935 King Giant 1271 | 1925 King 1265 Jumbo (now with four valves)
...and a 1920s Columbia Tenor Sousaphone

WARNING: This tuba player has been known to get his groove on via bass guitar as well!
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Getting Sousaphone valve section replated

Post by Ken Herrick »

"MrBasseyPants" wrote, "I am probably going to have Dan Schultz do it since I’ve had him do work before."

Sounds like a plan.
Free to tuba: good home