Stripping lacquer: Pros and Cons

The bulk of the musical talk
griffinwilson
bugler
bugler

Stripping lacquer: Pros and Cons

Post by griffinwilson »

After seeing so many people strip the lacquer off of their tubas, I'm really starting to consider doing to it to one of my horns. That being said, what are the real pros and cons of taking on a project like this? Is the sound really that much better? Does it completely change the horn, or just the look?

Just curious to know what you guys have to say on this subject.

-Griffin
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Stripping lacquer: Pros and Cons

Post by The Big Ben »

the elephant wrote:You probably do not need to do this. If you do this it needs to be because you WANT THAT LOOK and no other reason, because there probably is no other reason unless the horn is very old, or like half the lacquer is already peeling off and you want a more uniform look, whether tarnished or hand polished.
+1

Going over it afterwards with very fine steel wool makes a nice finish, too.
Big Francis
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Francis »

I stripped my first tuba thinking it could help. What I discovered is that any change in sound was negligible, real improvement came from a week of solid practice focusing on sound quality and consistency through the range, and stripping the lacquer knocked about $1000 off the value of the horn when I sold it.

If you choose to go through with it, do it for the look, not a shortcut to a better sound.

Frank
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:Just think of all of those owners of $XXX,XXX violins and cellos who strip the varnish off their instruments - instruments that actually make their sounds via the vibration of the instrument itself...
I think it stands to reason, that your violin could not be worth more than $100,000, if its finish were unsatisfactory; and on the other hand, when a violin finish is bad enough to be an obvious problem, the violin underneath it is unlikely to be worth bothering with.

But the finish does play an acoustically important role in the violin family. Resonance of the sound plate is supported by elasticity of the wood, and the elasticity of raw wood is of course quite directional. The varnish adds a more uniform component to that, is what I've read anyway. Not as much as using plywood instead (branch to side discussion of the merits of plywood for basses), but anyway, while some violinists reportedly do like to play unvarnished instruments, the general consensus seems to be that (well-) varnished is acoustically better. Plus it looks better, after a while.

If it weren't for the acoustic issues that invalidate the comparison, I'd compare brass lacquer to polyurethane varnish on wood, which in my experience eventually must look bad - it scuffs, it yellows, it breaks and peels off. What's missing is a brass equivalent to penetrating oil finishes, which age gracefully.
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

The varnish used on good violins and basses is very thin, nothing like the bullet-proof polyurethane coatings that companies use on electric guitars and basses.

However some cheaper basses do have thick coatings applied and do sound better when that is stripped.

I prefer to coat the inside of my tubas with a thin layer of beer.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

I've stripped the lacquer from a couple of trombone bells from the 50s/60s, and it did make a subtle difference. The sound responded more quickly. It was subtle. These were horns that were already missing half of their lacquer. I wouldn't strip a new horn, but i migbt order one that way.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

I did the opposite. I had my horn stripped only to have brand new lacquer applied. I'm one of the weirdos that prefers a nice lacquer finish to raw brass. Makes it look new and fancy.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I will say again that I stripped the lacquer from my Marzan slant-valve CC and was convinced that I heard a difference. But listening to recordings (made by the same person and same set-up that recorded the Philadelphia Orchestra) and section trombones I trusted listening in the hall I was eventually convinced that the effective radius of the change was limited to about 6 feet. But if it makes you play more confidently then it’s worth the devaluation hit...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

The way I feel about it is that if my horn is bright and shiny and reflects vanity, people might expect my playing to be flashy and perfect as well. Hate to disappoint.

Plus, if you're counting how many internet trolls you can stuff in the bell of a 6/4 tuba, it's just better if it's not shiny. Just my opinion.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

In fact, if we can overcome our Puritan shame over any attention to appearance, cosmetics are important. In a situation where it's important to know whether patent leather shoes go with black tie, if I were to ever have such a gig I suppose I'd want the shiniest tuba ever. For a Balkan brass show in an ill lit drinking establishment, that shiny tuba would be an embarrassment. No one will notice any difference in the sound, but it still matters.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

If one is fat, but their clothes fit well, they won't look as fat!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.