operative word: > IF <

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: operative word: > IF <

Post by bort »

Again, if the show is cancelled, go to DC anyway and do othet things. Between DC and Baltimore, there are a bazillion things to see and do, which do not require the government to be active.

Or if you are adamant about only doing tuba things, then take a quick trip up to BBC (who.would probably be open that day if no show) or a longer trip up to Dillon music (same thing).

Or, keep your eyes posted here and on facebook for other peoples plans. People come from all over the world for this. Something silly like a government shutdown isn't going to prevent the beer from flowing, you know.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Side note, today my wife asked when i am going to attend the conference again. She fully encouraged it, for me to do tuba stuff all day, she will do go to the art museums, and my parents in Baltimore will watch the kids the weekend.

Win win win, except I would have to find a way to sneak a tuba home on the airplane. :)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: operative word: > GET THE T-SHIRT <

Post by windshieldbug »

It’s the only way to prove you were there... 8)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

Bort, if not done already, have the kids go to the Baltimore Aquarium. It is AWESOME! In fact, if I'm feeling up to it, I might just go visit (something at least) tomorrow. I need some walking time in.
--farah chisham
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Absolutely! I grew up in Baltimore and probably went every year as a kid. Great place!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote:I've been asked to pony up before...' pretty sure...

I spoke to the guy in charge (but can't find those communications right now) a couple of times.
Communication has been sparse but polite. It seems as though he'll be collecting dough from us there, as there's no way to pay online prior to.
I would like to hear from him just one more time to insure my booth reservation, but (again) searching my emails and fb, I can't find his name.
I am pretty certain Wessex has already paid. I know card details have been given. I was in communications with the organiser a couple weeks ago to confirm booth before booking air flights and hotels.

Maybe if the army base is closed, another venue in Washington DC can be found? Are there any big music schools?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

If anyone needs to hide their purchase for a few weeks...

I can keep it at my house until you make up a good story!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

If the government is still shut down, y'all can have the conference at my house. BYOB.
[/post]
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

THE TUBA wrote:If the government is still shut down, y'all can have the conference at my house. BYOB.
The regular conference is already BYOB, so this seems like a pretty good deal!
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

bloke wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:Open air monuments and memorials will remain open this time. Probably enough to make it worth me flying out anyway. If it's cancelled, maybe someone can organize a get together for those stranded without a conference to attend, but fly in anyway
Mark,
If there's a strong indicator that it will be reopened, I end up heading up there, but nothing (after all) is resolved, you and I could jump in my car (with my brother as tour guide/driver, as he really-really knows his way around greater-D.C.) and see some fascinating off-the-beaten-path sites. I can think of several.

https://i.imgur.com/DHSvXs6.png
I would like a field trip to the site, I understand it is the one place on the planet the laws of physics don't apply.