concentration

The bulk of the musical talk
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Re: concentration

Post by TubaDude »

Way back when, in my L.A. days I did a singing telegram tuba solo for radio station manager. The tune was "As Time Goes By". I showed up, full tux, performed the tune flawlessly. Leaving the scene of the crime, I asked the guy who got the telegram what the back story of the tune was, come to find out he was a trumpet player in the L.A. Philharmonic in the past and they were doing a rehearsal one day on one tune that the tuba had 23 bars of rests to start, well for the entire morning of the rehearsal they never got to bar 24 so when they broke for lunch Tommy Johnson broke out playing "As Time Goes By" which broke up the entire ensemble and conductor. So for an anniversary present this guy's wife got him a tuba singing telegram of that memory. I certainly did do some strange gigs out in L.A. back in the day.
TubaDude
1909 King Helicon with 4th Valve Added
1913 York 4 Valve Eb/C Helicon (for sale)
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaDude »

Now that's the way to do it! My question is, why do we never hear of bassoon o grams or even oboe o grams? My guess is people think we're melodically challenged, LOL!!!
TubaDude
1909 King Helicon with 4th Valve Added
1913 York 4 Valve Eb/C Helicon (for sale)
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

bloke wrote:I played a gig last week where I had to play the same (exposed) thing over-and-over.
Take a held note, a long one, a really long one, an exposed one. I've played alongside tuba players who bitch about "such a worthless part, etc." but some of these "boring" parts really can define the passage and help make something ordinary, extraordinary.
:tuba:
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

“Tubagram”

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tubagrams? We have lost our concentration and have strayed from the original topic of concentration.

In all seriousness, I believe that most of the mistakes made by competent tuba players are due to a break in concentration.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Mark wrote:
In all seriousness, I believe that most of the mistakes made by competent tuba players are due to a break in concentration.
This.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

i thimk i was gonna say su,y

is there a raispn why in doung this I cant member
Free to tuba: good home
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ken Herrick wrote:i thimk i was gonna say su,y