Anyone ever played a St. Petersburg 203N Piston Valve?

The bulk of the musical talk
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Anyone ever played a St. Petersburg 203N Piston Valve?

Post by groth »

St. Petersburg apparently added a 4/4 4-Piston valve horn (203N) BBb with the same overall dimensions as the 202N but different slides and piston valves instead of rotary valves. I believe this is now a 5 year old design if not mistaken. Has anyone tried one of these? What did you think? I notice they originally came out with the traditional horizontal Main tuning slide, then from 2016 on they re-designed it with a verticle pull main slide.
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Anyone ever played a St. Petersburg 203N Piston Valve?

Post by Dan Tuba »

I just recently played one at Midwest. It’s “ok.” I liked the 202N much better. The piston valve version didn’t respond very well, seemed to have some “dead” notes, and the intonation was a little wacky. If you are looking for an affordable rotary valve BBb tuba, I would highly recommend the two John Packer 4 rotary valve BBb tubas. One model is very similar to a MW 25 and the other is a 3/4 “Piggy” BBb tuba. Both models played very well. Good intonation, sound, and response. The valves were very good, way better than the St Petersburg tuba that I tried. If you are looking for a piston valve BBb, the Eastman 534 BBb is awesome!
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Dan Tuba wrote:I just recently played one at Midwest. It’s “ok.” I liked the 202N much better. The piston valve version didn’t respond very well, seemed to have some “dead” notes, and the intonation was a little wacky. If you are looking for an affordable rotary valve BBb tuba, I would highly recommend the two John Packer 4 rotary valve BBb tubas. One model is very similar to a MW 25 and the other is a 3/4 “Piggy” BBb tuba. Both models played very well. Good intonation, sound, and response. The valves were very good, way better than the St Petersburg tuba that I tried. If you are looking for a piston valve BBb, the Eastman 534 BBb is awesome!
Yeah not really interested in spending $6k on a Chinese horn, no matter how good the reviews are. Thanks for the input on the horn in question.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

So has anyone else tried the 203N Piston valve horn at all? That's what I was interested in finding more about. Thanks.
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NCSUSousa »

groth wrote:So has anyone else tried the 203N Piston valve horn at all? That's what I was interested in finding more about. Thanks.
I sit next to a guy that has one in Durham Community Band.
It's a pretty good tuba, just like the St Pete 202 is a pretty good tuba. The 203 plays very similar to the 202.
I haven't played it, but it works quite well for him. If I remember correctly, he prefer how piston valves behave compared to rotary valves.
I'm sure there are better tubas with pistons. I'm also certain that there are worse tubas with pistons.

If you try one, make sure to try it with the Tuba Exchange Rose (or a similarly shaped) mouthpiece. If I remember what Vince told me, that mouthpiece was designed to work well on the St Pete BBb bugle. All of my experience agrees with that statement, true or not. (Vince - former owner of Tuba Exchange in Durham, NC)

If you really want to know, find your way to Durham. They have 1 in their showroom at all times and almost always there are more in the back waiting to be sold.
Like Mark, I don't know if they're bringing one to the Army Tuba Conference, but I'd expect it.

Richard
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

NCSUSousa wrote:
groth wrote:So has anyone else tried the 203N Piston valve horn at all? That's what I was interested in finding more about. Thanks.
I sit next to a guy that has one in Durham Community Band.
It's a pretty good tuba, just like the St Pete 202 is a pretty good tuba. The 203 plays very similar to the 202.
I haven't played it, but it works quite well for him. If I remember correctly, he prefer how piston valves behave compared to rotary valves.
I'm sure there are better tubas with pistons. I'm also certain that there are worse tubas with pistons.

If you try one, make sure to try it with the Tuba Exchange Rose (or a similarly shaped) mouthpiece. If I remember what Vince told me, that mouthpiece was designed to work well on the St Pete BBb bugle. All of my experience agrees with that statement, true or not. (Vince - former owner of Tuba Exchange in Durham, NC)

If you really want to know, find your way to Durham. They have 1 in their showroom at all times and almost always there are more in the back waiting to be sold.
Like Mark, I don't know if they're bringing one to the Army Tuba Conference, but I'd expect it.

Richard
Despite all the assumptions earlier on by some, the technical aspect is what I was curious about and the price one would be able to attain one of these horns was WELL below retail in my situation provided I would purchase said horn. If I had the choice to, it would be something made in the modern factory in Western Ukraine which is on par with just about anything else in the past 7-10 years. Thanks Richard for your review.
BrassKicksArse
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassKicksArse »

I've played a ton of St pete's. Haven't played the BBb with piston valves. However, The ones I have played have been great tubas. Their BBb's an CC's are super efficient tuba's. Quality is admmitedly so-so, but they really do play great. If you like how it plays, get it. It's that simple.
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

NCSUSousa wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:50 pm

Richard
I just bought a 202N and really like the sound I get with the Rose mouthpiece that came with the horn. I usually use a Bach 12 and the rim is very similar to my Bach, but it has a deeper cup.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H