Moog (??) synthesizer

The bulk of the musical talk
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Moog (??) synthesizer

Post by Three Valves »

You can buy a brand new "vintage" model for about $3,500.00 at Sweetwater.

It's the future!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

Might as well sell your tubas now, Bloke. It's over now that these things have been released. I heard the Chicago Yorks will be for sale before too long. Mouthpieces are obsolete and so are the bums who plant their lips on 'em.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

If they can count rests, I want one!
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:I've heard some chatter about a new device called a "Moog" (??) synthesizer, and that this thing might eventually replace the tuba...
You can carry the Moog on your Segway, which will total change the way we travel...
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

The future is now.. well in 2012 it was anyway
https://youtu.be/CwzjlmBLfrQ?t=52s" target="_blank
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

oedipoes wrote:If they can count rests, I want one!
Version 2.0 will count rests, wake you up, then count you back in!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

A little off topic.

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

As a swimming instructor at the YMCA, I was asked to cover an Adult beginners class for a day. Oddly only one of students showed up. She was a very nice young lady who had a severely curved spine and neck. This made it impossible for her to turn her neck to breath while swimming face down. So she would hold her breath for the time it took to swim the width of the pool. She could swim on her back. I taught her how to swim rolling over on her back to breath, then back to the front to se where she was going. After a few successful trips across the shallow end, I got into the pool for her first try to swim the length. Then once more with me back to the shallow end. Now she had to swim the length by herself.
There was a water ballet class in the deep in. As this lady stared to swim from the shallow to the deep. They started their music. It was "Chariots of Fire". She covered the shallow end as the Iconic opening rhythmic played. Then the music swelled as she crossed the line from shallow to deep. The music carried her on to the deep end of the pool. She climb out of the pool and we both hugged, crying. The other class being oblivious to what just happen.
We saw each other around the Y and lot, one of us coming or going. But I never got to work with her again. Years later we ran into each other at a doctors office. She was proud to inform me that she was a certified scuba diver and has traveled the world diving.

Charlie C. Chowder
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

The newest Moog synth can play two notes simultaneously, making it the perfect Berlioz tuba replacement.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

This topic got me wondering the other day about how much influence Williams, Lucas, and Star Wars had in preserving live orchestras for movie and TV soundtracks.

John Williams says here, "No one is more grateful for great brass players than I can be, and I am." I think it goes both ways.

https://youtu.be/aHs4W3bdReI?t=20m3s" target="_blank" target="_blank

[edit] I'm saying this because I've recently re-watched some movies from the early 80's and realized how unabashedly synth-heavy so many of them were. It was like I kept hearing a guy pushing buttons in a room. Since then, it sounds like the pendulum has swung towards hiring live musicians more often than not.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

I have a friend wise in the ways of synths. Last time i mentioned tubas to him his response was "Get thee behind me."

But that probably says more about me than either tubas or synths...

If i were going to contribute
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

usefully to this thread (without accidentally hitting "submit" instead of "full editor") i would dig up this scene from El Mariachi...
https://youtube.com/watch?v=VcpXirYbxE0
Thanks for playing!