Harmonica experts?

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Harmonica experts?

Post by bort »

Does anyone out there know much about harmonicas? I recently found an old harmonica that belonged to my grandfather, and was curious about it. I'm sure it's probably not worth very much, but I thought I should at least ask.

It's a 10-hole "Professional Lombardi Chromatic" harmonica. Will take a photo when I get a chance.

Maybe these are a dime a dozen, no clue... anyone? Thanks! :tuba:
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Harmonica experts?

Post by imperialbari »

No expert on harmonicas either. But I have lived in a household with a player of an instrument working on similar principles, the accordion. I was very motivated to have the rented school instrument upgraded for the sake of my own ears. I took part in the selection of that much better instrument and since also did some repairs on it.

My English terminology hardly is precise, but during that process I learned about two styles of making the oscillating tounges, the German and the Italian. I greatly prefer the Italian for allowing a much more musical playing style with much smoother tone attacks than the German.Within the two styles there are two quality levels of tongues, machine filed or hand filed. The latter being the better one.

Lombardi refers to the Lombardy region in north east Italy. May be a family of makers. Or may be a stencil name.

Hardly helpful.

Klaus
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thank you both!

Yes, it's the kind with the button on the side, Joe. I remember as a kid thinking it was a lot of fun, because of the button. Although I'm obviously musically inclined, I've never been able to do much with a harmonica.

I forgot that I even had it, honestly. And no, I certainly never thought this was retirement material, HA!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Neat... I'll have to oil it up and give it a try again.

Really was just curious about it. If nothing else, it's got some sentimental value, since my grandfather passed away about 6 years before I was born (early 50s, lung cancer from smoking).